Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's about pictures of your Security and Service Sixes. I have had two but let both go. Dumb, Dumb, and Dumber.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
Here's my very basic 4" blue Secrirty-Six. I do have both the standard and target grips.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
gswbbc, There are actually four models in the Security-Six family with 78 variations, all in the same serial number sequence. They are: Security-Six (adjustable sights & square butt), Service-Six (fixed sights, square butt), Police Service-Six (fixed sights, square butt), and Speed-Six (fixed sights round butt). Some of the variations include: 357 Mag, 380 Rim, 38 Special, and 9mm chamberings in 2 3/4", 3", 4", 5", and 6" barrels, both blue and stainless. There was also a heavy barrel and a machined heavy barrel. There are more variations in this series of DA revolvers than any other Ruger model. Here's a case where Ruger made a big mistake by discontinuing the whole Security-Six product line after the GP-100 came out. The Security-Six family had a frame size similar to the S&W K frame only much stronger. The GP-100 is more like the S&W L frame but again, much stronger. I firmly believe there is still a good market for K-frame sized guns, especially in the short barrel snubbys or even the 4" barrels. Due to smaller diameter cylinder and a lighter weight, the Security-Six family of revolvers made excellent carry guns that you could shoot on a regular basis and not worry about it wearing out.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
my one and only. still a work in progress

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is mine

My wife and daughter like to shoot this one with 38 specials in it. It does CCW duty with full power 357s when I feel like packin' a wheelie.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Navy Rugers

Seeing these remind me of the ones we had on my ships, before we switch to the M9. Each ship was aloted 4 .38 revolvers and on my first three ships it was the 4" Security Six with a blue finish. They were sweet revolvers and never shot. We had the guns and we had the ammo but there was no training allowance for them. I was told they were for pilots and to be use for signaling if they hit the drink or defence if they found land. I often wonder if the Navy has sold them to the public, if they are still in a storage box at Crene, In. or did they melt them down, perish the thought.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've had this sweetheart for just a few months. I think it shoots as well as any of my K or L frame smiths. I need to find some oem grips and it may replace my J frame as my daily carry.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thse are nice! I've been scouring all the shops within about an hours drive, but can't find a one. There are several SS 4" Security Six's on gunbroker.com that are awfully tempting, but the prices seem on the high side (and going up, so maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot by contually waiting/looking?).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Got this in monday. Found a set of factory combat grips on gunbroker for $10, with checkering, but not like the smooth like the ones that madcratebuilder has on his above.
I'm going to do some sanding and rounding of the edges of them, to remove the sharp edges, and hopefull they will be more concealable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts