Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this CHP Security-Six commemorative(Model GA-86T) awhile back from a retired CHP motorcycle patrolman-but, I was ill for a time and had tucked it away in my safe but, never got around to posting pictures of it. These revolvers were chambered in .38 Special. This gun has the "CHP" stamped on the frame-so it was not over stamped. I just took the following pictures this morning-but, they did not turn out as good as they would have in better lighting-as today was very dark and cloudy:

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
That's a great looking Ruger!

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Beautiful gun!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
ptblank, you never fail to amaze me with your never-ending stream of mint Sixes! Another beautiful example from your Six-series museum. Any idea why the CHP would issue a Security Six instead of a Police Service Six? (I'm assuming these were duty guns, no?)

Wave

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Very nice. Excellent range gun. It looks similar to the "Police Marksman" one I purchased last weekend.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have the the twin to yours except mine is .357 mag and no "CHP" stamped on the side!:cool:
The six inch barrel model like you have makes a great range revolver, very accurate and a ball to shoot.:D

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ptblank, you never fail to amaze me with your never-ending stream of mint Sixes! Another beautiful example from your Six-series museum. Any idea why the CHP would issue a Security Six instead of a Police Service Six? (I'm assuming these were duty guns, no?)

Wave
Thanks for the compliment, Wave!:)

The CHP already had a contract with S&W for their model 68(.38 Special)6" revolver and Ruger had attempted to secure this contract with the CHP to replace these revolvers. However, this didn't materialize. Thus, S&W kept the contract.

It is estimated that 500 of these CHP Security-Sixes were produced-and, it is unknown how many of those were actually stamped 'CHP'.:eek:

For those who may not know, any adjustable sighted Security-Six chambered in
.38 Special is considered to be 'rare'.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, Wave!:)

The CHP already had a contract with S&W for their model 68(.38 Special)6" revolver and Ruger had attempted to secure this contract with the CHP to replace these revolvers. However, this didn't materialize. Thus, S&W kept the contract.

It is estimated that 500 of these CHP Security-Sixes were produced-and, it is unknown how many of those were actually stamped 'CHP'.:eek:

For those who may not know, any adjustable sighted Security-Six chambered in
.38 Special is considered to be 'rare'.
That makes sense - a special production run in .38 Special to try to win the CHP contract away from S&W. So the caliber with the CHP stamp makes that one a pretty special specimen. Congratulations!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Did the CHP patrolman tell you how he came to own the gun originally? Was it a sample for department testing or something? It's interesting that the gun did end up in the hands of it's intended target market.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Did you get it from Ponch or John? LOL Great gun but I figured someone would've beaten me to it...LOL again...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did the CHP patrolman tell you how he came to own the gun originally? Was it a sample for department testing or something? It's interesting that the gun did end up in the hands of it's intended target market.
He didn't know the complete story on these CHP Security Sixes. All he knew was that the CHP had some of these guns on hand and several CHP patrolmen had acquired them. His efforts to research this through channels were unsuccessful.:rolleyes:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Nice revolver.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Because of its rarity, I'm guessing this gun would be quite the 'collectible', & will increase in value with time :p Just guessing, I don't really know.

Slick looking gun. Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Very Nice!:D

I have seen a few of these pop up on GunBroker, I missed out on one a few years back, just went too high for me. A .38 Special Security Six is VERY rare, I saw one, a 4", also on GunBroker but again it went way high.

I am assuming the Model 68 was the 6" Model 66 chambered in .38 Special, these were ordered from S&W and I don't know how easy they are to find. I wonder why the CHP didn't just order 6" Model 67's......

I also always wondered why .38 Special Security Sixes weren't made in greater numbers, there are lots of .38 Service and Speed Sixes made for PD or Security contracts, I would have thought alot of PD's who didn't want to use .357's would have ordered .38 Security Sixes, but I guess cost was also a factor.

Kind of like how .38 Special GP100's are fairly easy to find but there are no .38 Special adjustable sight GP's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts