Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had this issue with my Security Six. After three or four cylinder loads of shooting, the ejector rod will back out. This lengthens the rod, and will eventually cause the cylinder to jam shut. I don't really understand why this happens - the thread is left-handed, and should be tightened as the cylinder naturally rotates. I got tired of tightening it during shooting, so I disassembled the cylinder, and put a drop of locktite on the threads.
Well, you might guess that the locktite worked its way deeper into the works. That meant the spring-loaded pin that locks the cylinder into the frame got stuck in place. That lead to me having a loaded revolver in the house, and no easy way to push the cylinder release button to unload it.
It took double handed strength, but I managed to get the thing open. Then, the pin in question was neatly jammed into the center of the cylinder. In this state, the cylinder won't stay shut.
It took some wrench-assisted torque, but I managed to get the ejector rod loose and disassembled the thing. Took me awhile to scrape all the locktite out.
Got it working now.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. I had the ejector rod come loose all the time on my 686. I put a dab of loctite on it and the problem was solved. Sound like maybe you used too much?

·
Registered
224 Posts
well, loctite releases with heat... you could have taken the grips off and placed it in the oven (unloaded!!) at 200 deg for a few minutes, or held a lighter under it..... but glad you got it fixed !!

·
Registered
286 Posts
this happened to me as well, and after fixing it...I decided that the GP was a bit better that I had first thought.

Loctite will work for a while. in a 3-400 round training session you will have to snug it up a few times.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I forget where I read this advice, but I clamp the knurled end of the ejector rod in a vise padded with pieces of an old leather belt, and tighten by using my hands on the cylinder. It's never come loose on me and it causes no damage to the rod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts