Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Welcome to a great forum. I'm quite sure you will find your grips. Don't forget to post a pic of said SS. ;)

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don't believe that Pachmayr made grips for the 150- serial numbers Sixes (also called the "low back" frame) Look for Herret or Jay Scott grips on eBay, Gunbroker or possibly Numrich for that serial number.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Pachmayr made grips, for Ruger, with the Ruger logo on them, for the high back frame Six series (151-xxxxx serial numbers and above). Their model number would be, for example RDA-34HP (Security Six, .357 Mag, blued, 4" Heavy barrel with Pachmayr grips). I just have never seen any factory made Pachmayr grips for the low back frame but that doesn't mean that none exist, just that I have never seen any in all the time I have been collecting the Six series (30+ years). Could you modify a pair to fit a low back frame Six series (150-xxxxx serial numbers) - probably with some judicious use of a dremel or other handtools and they might work. The low back and high back frames are shaped differently so even modifying a wood grip might work but would not be an exact fit.

And to answer your question, I have, in the past checked the fit of a high back frame set of Pachmayrs on my low back frame guns and they just do not fit correctly. My collection of the Six series revolvers is pretty extensive, including a number of rare models but that doesn't mean that I am the know all about the Six series but I am pretty well versed in what Ruger made.

Did you know that Pachmayr didn't just make black rubber grips for the high back frame Six Series? The also made an aftermarket wood with a rubber insert finger groove grip for them.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Looked long and hard for a set for my 150 Speed Six. Tried some of my factory sets from a 157 and a 160 with no luck on the fit. Finally found a nice original wood set and bought them for a spare.
Good Luck

·
Registered
583 Posts
the grips i put on my security-six are Pachmayr Presentation- put on when new 1980.
A Security Six from 1980 is a high back frame model and Pachmayr made grips for it. The low back frame Six series was ONLY** 150- serial numbers, made from 1970 to 1974. In 1974, Ruger changed the design of the frame and more aftermarket (and grips contracted by Ruger, such as the Pachmayr Presentations) were available.

** there are examples of low back frames with 151- serial numbers and high back frames with a 150- serial numbers as that was during the transition period. I have examples of both, they are very rare.

Reactions: moparclan

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased this 150 series Security Six with factory grips. I looked for several months until I found a set of Herrett grips. I could not find any rubber aftermarket grips made for 150 series revolvers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts