Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a security six a few years ago. The pistols finish must have been rough as it is pitted. The revolver had been cerecoated. When I rotate the cylinder clockwise without manipulation of the trigger or hammer. Every few clicks and the cylinder won’t rotate any more. If I wiggle the cylinder it will rotate for a few clicks then stop. It does not stop on the same cylinder every time

·
Registered
250 Posts
Good Day,
Just gonna guess cause I just had mine apart for cleaning. Check the bolt stop, it should have a spring holding it up and the cylinder should not be able to be turned while the trigger and hammer are in their at rest conditions. Pulling the hammer back part way causes the bolt stop to drop out of the way but this only allows the cylinder to turn CCW, (from the rear of the piece) it's normal direction. The pawl should stop it from going the other direction. Good luck! HTH
Best,
Rob

·
Registered
179 Posts
It could be as simple as disassembly and cleaning. I would get a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen’s shop manual for Ruger double action revolvers. It will have disassembly procedures as well as an explanation of how everything works and a trouble shooting guide. It may be that the cylinder stop/latch is broken, or gummed up, or the latch plunger is broken or gummed up. Disassembly should reveal the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts