Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Security Six from the original owner and he said he had never taken it apart. The trigger has a slight what I will describe as a "catch" or "drag" feeling when pulling the hammer back in single action. It happens when the hammer has traveled about 1/4" and goes away when the hammer is pulled back another 1/6". Before and after that feeling, everything is very smooth.

Is this a characteristic of this revolver or do I need to do some more polishing. Is there one or two areas that I should pay attention to?

I know is very difficult to recommend a cure without actually feeling the action but I have to ask.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Take it apart and look at the hammer/sear bearing surfaces. Use a hard stone to smooth/polish the mating surfaces but DO NOT change any angles. Also look at the top of the hammer strut and clean up any burrs that you might see. Look at the body of the hammer strut and clean up any burrs there also (especially where it goes through the mainspring seat). When you put it back together put a slight dab of grease on the top of the hammer strut (where it goes into the recess of the hammer) to keep it lubed and this will also help smooth out the hammer action.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll give it another going over today.
Hank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts