Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered a stainless security six 2 3/4” in really good condition in trade for my Glock 19 Gen4 , I don’t see many security six’s available these days, I know they are a tough and reliable workhorse...

I’m not sure of the age of the gun, no box or anything with it.
The gentlemen that has it purchased it used back in the early 1980’s and it’s spent most of its life in a dresser drawer, he just happened to like my coyote tan G19 and offered to trade the Ruger for it, seeing that I’ve tried to buy this revolver several times from him, I’m probably going to trade.

the way I see it , I can get another 19 any day of the week.

thoughts, opinions appreciated !

If I do acquire it, it’ll go into my carry rotation, wouldn’t be a safe queen or collectible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were there less stainless 2 3/4” made, I’ve seen the blue several times, only stainless I’ve ever seen though.

·
Exchequer
4,420 Posts
Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

That said, and assuming the Six is in near mint or very good condition, it's probably worth at least $400 to $500. That also assumes it is .357 and not chambered only for .38 sp. Typically, SS does fetch a bit more than blued steel.

About 3 years ago, I picked up a blued, minty, Security Six with a 4-inch barrel. I think I paid around $500 for it. Some may say I overpaid, but I really wanted it.

Fast forward to about a year ago, I found a SS Speed Six in 9mm with a 3-inch barrel. Again, some might say I paid too much for it, but to me, it is (was) somewhat of a unicorn gun.

So, it should come as no surprise when I suggest that (assuming the Six is in great shape), you do the trade.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Call me crazy but, I believe that SS should be worth more. In CA, they'll fetch closer to $800+. Just check around Gunbroker for some ideas of value.

As for me, I'd take that deal and make sure no cops were around to arrest me for robbing that guy.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'd make that trade in a heartbeat, if I owned a glock (which ain't gonna happen).

Not unusual to see a stainless Security Six for $600. And you are right, they are perhaps the best revolver ever made. Built like a tank, with a rugged beauty.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If it's in good condition and you really like it, do the trade. The fact there are so many still around in good shape after 30-40 years is a testament to well they were built. I recently bought two Speed Sixes and may have over paid, but they were "worth it" to me. We need pics when/if you get it.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
This is an easy one - YES! I'm not a big Glock fan. I bought a new 4" stainless Security Six in the late 70's. I carried it as a duty weapon and it has had untold numbers of .38 Spec and .357 Mag rounds through it. It doesn't look as good as it did, but it still shoots as well as ever.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You’d be coming out ahead, glock 19’s are easy to find on armslist a 2 3/4 security six doesn’t come around often and the shorter barrels bring more money than the 4 and 6”.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yeah, I would be on that trade in a heartbeat! Not sure the Ruger is worth that much more than the Glock, I just love the stainless Security-six in that barrel length.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would take that deal and run. The last two 4" Security 6's on GB sold for $680 and $655.

I had a fellow at the range let me shoot his blue 4" Security 6 last week and it was love at
first bang. The recoil seemed to transition straight back up my forearm with no hand slap and
it was dead solid accurate. I had to have one.

I'm the guy that paid $655.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts