Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a pretty identical comparison with a 4" Security Six and a GP100 MC. Both have half-lug barrels of similar length. I was really trying to decide which I was going to keep and which I was giving to my youngest son. I figured I'd keep the one I like better, as the two boys will split it all up when we die anyway.

So I put Hogue overmolded grips on both and spent a couple of days at the range. The one difference I couldn't match was the ramp sight of the SS to the green fiber of the MC. At the end of a few trips, the MC won me over. My son thought that was really cool because he actually preferred the SS with the wood grips. I also put the wood back on the MC.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The difference in weight distribution puts me in the security, speed, service six club. I have owned the gp100 and Sp101's. The six series just feel better in hand. Jmho

·
Registered
186 Posts
When the GP100 model first became available I traded a Security Six adjustable sight snub for a GP100 four inch adjustable sight.Comment by the dealer was, this will last you a lifetime young man!
Since then, I have never “worn out” any Ruger firearm.
The GP was great, but I found I was gravitating to the SP101 as an alternative in the search of the perfect packin’ woods gun.
I realized, after extensive experience, that I missed the Security Six, and went on a concerted search, purchased a like new Security Six four inch adjustable sight original production year serial number 150 run.
It’s all I ever needed ( although I do have a Lipsey’s SP101 three inch adjustable sight on order...... will be interesting to compare the two....perhaps the quest for the perfect packin’ woods Gun is all about the search ........ wearing one out is no a consideration...)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have both, a heavily customized blued 4" GP100 (but still solidly within the strictures of IDPA's Stock Service Revolver) and a lightly worked-over stainless steel 4" Security Six.

Both revolvers are excellent; here are my observations:

-The -Six guns can be more highly tuned to acheve a smoother trigger pull;

-The full-lugged GP handles less dynamically than a half-lugged -Six (especially on draw), but the weight positioning of the GP provides for faster follow-up/repeated shots, so overall, if I'm looking for the "best" "shooting" revolver between the two, despite the smoother trigger of the Security Six, I'm likely to go with the GP100, as in my experience and opinion while it has a bit rougher triggerpull, it does shoot a bit better.

-While the -Six guns are long out of production, and no longer supported by Ruger for servicing, parts and/or repair, they rarely break or go out of time-and spare parts are available from Numrich, etc. So if your prefeerence is to a -Six, I'd just get it and not unduly worry about it; hopefully you can examine before buying. If a shooter pushes me to a wall for a recommendation, in most cases I'll recommend a GP100, given Ruger support and more after-market support. It seems to be more common to have to have a new GP100 sent to Ruger for some corrective work these days than earlier in their production cycle, so for a new revolver it's nice that Ruger Customer Service provides superb and timely after-market support-corrective and otherwise.

-I highly recommend the OEM Ruger grips, particularly the Compact ones for the GP100. Another shooter of my acquaintance prefers the OEM full-size Ruger grips (in both cases, I'm recommending the rubber Ruger gris with the wood insert over the Hogue fingergroove grips Ruger has by and large switched over to as the curent grip they provide on most of the GP100 skus).

-On the -Sixes, the OEM grips either need to immediately go or be supplimented with a Tyler T-Grip; my personal preference is to go with a custom-modified Trausch TJ84 grip, but those are pretty much unobtainable, so probably the Hogue rubber grip is what I'd likely recommend for most general carry and defensive use, as well as IDPA. It's inexpensive, ergonomic and easily available.

-On the GP100, I prefer Safariland Comp 3 speedloaders, followed by Comp 2s, and then by HKS's.

-On the Security Six, I prefer the Safariland Comp 2; but the one for the S&W K frame, as the one they specifically make for the Ruger -Sixes is larger than it needs to be, and can hang up on cerrtain grips. HKS speedloaders work fine, but I find the Safariland Comp 2s are easier and faster to use.

-Given its general handling and recoil management dynamics, my .357 Security is loaded habitually with Remington 125 gr .38 Special +P cartridges; conversely, my GP100 is normally carrying 158 gr .357 magnum cartridges, Federal HydraShoks for carry and Sellier & Bellot for IDPA and practice.

-I internally lubricate all of my revolver actions with Russak Industry's Dri-Slide, a molybednum disulfide dry film lubricant carried in an evaporative liquid carier solution. You either spray or needle-applicator apply; the liquid carrier solution evaporates, depositing a non-gsr attractant dry film lubricant/anticorrosive.

-For front sights on both my GP100 and Security Six, I'm a huge fan of the now (unfortunately) out-of-production Millett Orange Bar; My GP100 sports a Millett white-outline rear, and the Security Six has a brand new white-outline Ruger adjustable. The sight picture of the adjustable-sighted guns I've found to provide a fast and excellent sight picture-but I haven't experimented with the Novak sights on the Wyley Clapps and the Match Champion's fixed sight Noval option. In a match Champion, I'd probably get the Novak sighted fixed sight, but replace the rear sight with Novak's similarly profiled adjustable one that they make as an after-market option. Bowan Rough Country sights are another contemporary durable option to replace the OEM Ruger adjustable sight with if desired; I've personally never used them, but all anecdotal reports on them I've read cite them as being excellent.

Good thread-thanks, all.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently bought a speed six in 9mm. At 10 yards I shot one hole! I thought in was missing until I moved. In the 9mm I don't think I will ever shoot it out.

·
Registered
518 Posts
As Iowegan said, there's very little weight difference between a Six Series and a GP100 in the same configuration. I don't think the slight difference in cylinder walls is significant. Pictured are cylinders of a Speed Six vs. Dan Wesson(2nd photo) & SS vs. GP100. It looks like the DW has thinner walls than the Speed Six and the DWs are considered very strong. I'm only posting this since I've read here a couple times about thinner cylinder walls on the Speed Six.(and I'm bored at home). No doubt the GP100 is bigger and "stronger" than a Six Series but find one lightly used and it'll take you a very long time to wear it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been a big GP fan since they first came out. The few Six series guns I have handled did not have a very good trigger, all stock I would guess. The newest GP's seem to have really smooth triggers and a step down in the hammer spring fixes the bit of heaviness they have while retaining reliability.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found this thread while researching the Security Six. I had a few versions over the years but foolishly sold them off. I went with a GP100 and figured that I was set.

Well, I recently sold that 4" GP100 in favor of a Redhawk 5 1/2". I figured that my SP101's were good for small work and the Redhawk for big work! A 4" Security Six recently became available to me and I jumped on it! I couldn't be happier!

The GP100 always felt a bit clunky in hand. Solid...but clunky! The SS feels much more nimble and lively to me! Love it!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have acquired a Service Six 4" in SS and have already ordered Hogue grips. The only down side is my BG check was delayed. :censored: Maybe today, I found the thread whilst doing research so I can get up to speed on the piece.
Best,
Rob

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have both SS (2) and a 4" GP and I agree with most of the above.

Both are damn strong but the prize of the strongest 4" 357M you can buy is the GP.

Yes, Ruger has formally ended support for the Security/Speed products. I mean they've been discontinued for, what, 25 years. I can't blame them.

As far as shooting them, I have Hogue grips on my 2.75" SS and my 4" GP, then factory on my 6" SS. The bigger GP is just easier to shoot. The weight helps and the grip is bigger.

The Security Six was Ruger's cop gun at the time. It was replaced by the GP, bigger, stronger, newer. But that was right when the 'wonder nines' came out. So all revolver sales basically failed in the LEO market.

I've always thought of the GP as a finely made tank. You'll never wear it out and when its empty it will make a damn good club.
This !

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have acquired a Service Six 4" in SS and have already ordered Hogue grips. The only down side is my BG check was delayed. :censored: Maybe today, I found the thread whilst doing research so I can get up to speed on the piece.
Best,
Rob
I receiver the Ruger the next day and it is wonderful. I took a chance before I shot it and put in a 14# GP-100 main spring, this with a little lube made the trigger very nice. (no misfires ) I had some Hogue Mono Grips on order and those are now installed. I had shot it with the original grips, before the new rubber grips arrived. It was not unpleasant, but the original grips are/ were so narrow for my hands that I didn't have a lot of control, especially with the .357 loads, this will change with the new grips. It was the middle 70's when I owned my Security Six, 6" barrel, and I wasn't that fond of it. The Service Six seems like it will be very controllable even though it is smaller than a GP-100 4 inch. I have a few WW 158 gr. JHP factory loaded rounds from way back then to try out. I can imagine that if the good rubber grips had existed back then I might still have the Security Six.
Best,
Rob

·
Registered
518 Posts
I receiver the Ruger the next day and it is wonderful. I took a chance before I shot it and put in a 14# GP-100 main spring, this with a little lube made the trigger very nice. (no misfires ) I had some Hogue Mono Grips on order and those are now installed. I had shot it with the original grips, before the new rubber grips arrived. It was not unpleasant, but the original grips are/ were so narrow for my hands that I didn't have a lot of control, especially with the .357 loads, this will change with the new grips. It was the middle 70's when I owned my Security Six, 6" barrel, and I wasn't that fond of it. The Service Six seems like it will be very controllable even though it is smaller than a GP-100 4 inch. I have a few WW 158 gr. JHP factory loaded rounds from way back then to try out. I can imagine that if the good rubber grips had existed back then I might still have the Security Six.
Best,
Rob
I had the same issue with my Speed Six with the OE walnut grips. They look great but there's not much to hold onto to give good control. I opted for "new" old stock Pachmayr Compact Presentation grips which work well for my Speed Six/ round butt. They were NIB on ebay for $16. Good luck with your Service Six!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is the GP100 better? If so, how?

YES it is much better and it is better for the following reasons

1. it is still in production the security six is not
2. the frame is stronger so it can handle a steady diet of .357 magnum ammunition
3. depending on the model of the gp100 the models made after 2006 or 2007 have solid rubber grips. the security six has rubber grips with wood panels which makes gp100 more comfortable to hold and to grip when your firing magnum ammunition,
4. the gp100 is heavier so it can help the shooter tame the recoil.
5.the gp100 is much more beautiful than the security six.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is the GP100 better? If so, how?

YES it is much better and it is better for the following reasons

1. it is still in production the security six is not
2. the frame is stronger so it can handle a steady diet of .357 magnum ammunition
3. depending on the model of the gp100 the models made after 2006 or 2007 have solid rubber grips. the security six has rubber grips with wood panels which makes gp100 more comfortable to hold and to grip when your firing magnum ammunition,
4. the gp100 is heavier so it can help the shooter tame the recoil.
5.the gp100 is much more beautiful than the security six.
Well.....a lot of this is very subjective. Please allow me to reply (yeah, I'm pretty subjective, too)

1. it is still in production the security six is not---True. The SS went away in 1986. But, so?
2. the frame is stronger so it can handle a steady diet of .357 magnum ammunition-- Mostly true. The GP was beefed up a little. But, I challenge anyone to find a SS that died an early death from a steady diet of .357. The SS is a tank and can withstand any amount of .357 as any gun out there.
3. depending on the model of the gp100 the models made after 2006 or 2007 have solid rubber grips. the security six has rubber grips with wood panels which makes gp100 more comfortable to hold and to grip when your firing magnum ammunition,---The SS (to the best of my knowledge) never had hybrid grips. The stock grips were compact and target style walnut grips. I have added Pachmayr rubber grips, for comfort, to my rotation. The hybrid wood/rubber came along with the GP100.
4. the gp100 is heavier so it can help the shooter tame the recoil.---Mostly false. The GP100 and SS, with matching barrel lengths, are virtually identical in weight, due to the frame design at the grip area. The GP may place more weight at the barrel, with the full lug.
5.the gp100 is much more beautiful than the security six.---Totally in the eye of the beholder. As a SS owner for 36 years, I find the SS, with it's half lugged barrel, to be far more elegant looking. But, that's subjective.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well.....a lot of this is very subjective. Please allow me to reply (yeah, I'm pretty subjective, too)

1. it is still in production the security six is not---True. The SS went away in 1986. But, so?
2. the frame is stronger so it can handle a steady diet of .357 magnum ammunition-- Mostly true. The GP was beefed up a little. But, I challenge anyone to find a SS that died an early death from a steady diet of .357. The SS is a tank and can withstand any amount of .357 as any gun out there.
3. depending on the model of the gp100 the models made after 2006 or 2007 have solid rubber grips. the security six has rubber grips with wood panels which makes gp100 more comfortable to hold and to grip when your firing magnum ammunition,---The SS (to the best of my knowledge) never had hybrid grips. The stock grips were compact and target style walnut grips. I have added Pachmayr rubber grips, for comfort, to my rotation. The hybrid wood/rubber came along with the GP100.
4. the gp100 is heavier so it can help the shooter tame the recoil.---Mostly false. The GP100 and SS, with matching barrel lengths, are virtually identical in weight, due to the frame design at the grip area. The GP may place more weight at the barrel, with the full lug.
5.the gp100 is much more beautiful than the security six.---Totally in the eye of the beholder. As a SS owner for 36 years, I find the SS, with it's half lugged barrel, to be far more elegant looking. But, that's subjective.
I have both, and love both. I think my SS snubby is the more beautiful. I would not hesitate to put my life on the line with either in my holster. My GP 100 was my first duty weapon. The really great thing is we have both!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Both are wonderful over-built firearms. I traded my security six for a GP100 when they first came out. My usage for both has always been as a target gun. There was really only one reason in my book for me to change to the newer design, but it was enough for me to do it.

The old style GP100 grip with the inserts is noticeably more comfortable to shoot magnums out of. With 38 loads it is a wash. In hindsight, I would like to have my security six back.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had gone up to Kittery Trading Post with the intention of bringing home a S&W model 10. They had 4 of them in stock ranging from a pre model 10 to I think it was a 10-7, all had 4" pencil barrels. I had wanted a heavy barrel in either 3 or 4 inch. Had one of them been a heavy barrel I would have never taken another look in the gun case and spied a Ruger 2 3/4" Police Service Six hiding in the back (one of my dream guns). One look was all it took and I told the clerk I'd take it. She was in rough shape (previous owner had obviously dropped her on concrete) but not bad enough that I didn't think it would clean up. All the marks cleaned up well and she shoots like a dream. Obviously a keeper, so she got a pair of stag grips and a nice holster to tag along with me from time to time.

Since this picture I upgraded the front sight to a Mepro night sight for a much improved sight picture. (SP101)

21 - 40 of 53 Posts