Ruger Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
4. the gp100 is heavier so it can help the shooter tame the recoil.---Mostly false. The GP100 and SS, with matching barrel lengths, are virtually identical in weight, due to the frame design at the grip.
We like both, own both .

FWIW, mg357 was right about the GP100 being heavier. A 4" Security Six weighs 33.5 ounces. A 4 " GP100 weighs 41 ounces.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No edit button so I will add the following. A 4 " GP100 with adjustable sights as those found on the 4 " Security Six with adjustable sights does weigh 41 oz. Fixed sight GP100 models weigh 37 or 38 oz depending on shroud configuration.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The GP100 is more modern, and heavier. My Gen.1 version was introduced without the full underlug, and was a touch lighter on the scales.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My SS, in current configuration, unloaded of course.

This is per Ruger and per Wikipedia : Ruger Security Six
Mass33.5 oz (4 inch barrel) . I believe this is with their factory Service grip panels. Your rubber Pachmayr grips are likely heavier.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I pulled out my copy of the 1987 Gun Digest when I found this question. The GP was reviewed by Hal Swiggett in that issue since it was new.

Swiggett had nothing, but good things to say about the GP. Loved it actually. Thought it was a big step up from the six series which he thought was a good design but had become dated. He doesn't explain how the Six series is dated, but there it is. I then pulled out my copy of Handguns '89. Wiley Clap edited that edition and wrote the majority of the articles. Despite it's title, the book was released in the late Fall of '88 and the articles were written in 87 and 88. There is a substantial article regarding the new GP by Clapp. Once again Mr. Clapp gives a nod to the Six series, but he's very impressed with the new and improved GP-100. In another of my back-issues I find Massad Ayoob stating that the Six series was a strong design, but the GP-100 is designed to fire nothing but magnum loads. I can't find anything where a reviewer is sad to see the Six series leaving. Everybody is very complimentary about it, but none of them seem to be morose over it's demise. That's gun writers for you. Always hyping the newest and greatest.

Incidentally I've noticed a couple posts on this thread in which the writers mention how much they dislike the Houge grips. Just thought I would mention that Ruger sells the older style hybrid grips now on it's website (www.shopruger.com). I have purchased both the full size grips (for my 4" GP) and the smaller round-butt version for my 3" GP. The grips are $44.95, but they are brand new and sold by Ruger. Just FYI for those who might now have been aware of this fact.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I pulled out my copy of the 1987 Gun Digest when I found this question. The GP was reviewed by Hal Swiggett in that issue since it was new.

Swiggett had nothing, but good things to say about the GP. Loved it actually. Thought it was a big step up from the six series which he thought was a good design but had become dated. He doesn't explain how the Six series is dated, but there it is. I then pulled out my copy of Handguns '89. Wiley Clap edited that edition and wrote the majority of the articles. Despite it's title, the book was released in the late Fall of '88 and the articles were written in 87 and 88. There is a substantial article regarding the new GP by Clapp. Once again Mr. Clapp gives a nod to the Six series, but he's very impressed with the new and improved GP-100. In another of my back-issues I find Massad Ayoob stating that the Six series was a strong design, but the GP-100 is designed to fire nothing but magnum loads. I can't find anything where a reviewer is sad to see the Six series leaving. Everybody is very complimentary about it, but none of them seem to be morose over it's demise. That's gun writers for you. Always hyping the newest and greatest.

Incidentally I've noticed a couple posts on this thread in which the writers mention how much they dislike the Houge grips. Just thought I would mention that Ruger sells the older style hybrid grips now on it's website (www.shopruger.com). I have purchased both the full size grips (for my 4" GP) and the smaller round-butt version for my 3" GP. The grips are $44.95, but they are brand new and sold by Ruger. Just FYI for those who might now have been aware of this fact.
It's interesting to hear the expert's comparisons of the GP and Six Series thirty plus years ago. I wonder what they would say now about the strength of the Six Series guns since many of them are still tight and going strong after three or four decades. The forward cylinder locking mechanism of the GPs was an improvement. I wish they had stayed with the half lug version though. I think the Six Series revolvers balance better than the full lug GPs because of the weight distribution. The GP100's short grip tang vs Six Series full grip frame puts the weight more toward front of the barrel (IMO). I've got two GP100s and two Speed Sixes and like them all. The 30-40 year old Speed Sixes are as tight as my 5 year old GPs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's interesting to hear the expert's comparisons of the GP and Six Series thirty plus years ago. I wonder what they would say now about the strength of the Six Series guns since many of them are still tight and going strong after three or four decades. The forward cylinder locking mechanism of the GPs was an improvement. I wish they had stayed with the half lug version though. I think the Six Series revolvers balance better than the full lug GPs because of the weight distribution. The GP100's short grip tang vs Six Series full grip frame puts the weight more toward front of the barrel (IMO). I've got two GP100s and two Speed Sixes and like them all. The 30-40 year old Speed Sixes are as tight as my 5 year old GPs.
It is interesting and refreshing to hear how well the Six series are holding up. FWIW, both of my GP100 revolvers are of the half lug variety with fixed sights which I prefer over their adjustable sights brethren just as I prefer the Police Service Six over the Security Six. One of those GP100's is in DAO mode which is likely my favorite DA revolver that I / we own.

As far as the tightness / durability aspect vs. the Six , it has been my finding that the GP100 revolvers that I have owned / sold / traded often times have just a touch more rotational & side to side play ( but not end shake ) than a Six. I know for a fact most to all of these GP's never saw heavy use and very likely came that way from the factory having somewhat more generous tolerances.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It is interesting and refreshing to hear how well the Six series are holding up. FWIW, both of my GP100 revolvers are of the half lug variety with fixed sights which I prefer over their adjustable sights brethren just as I prefer the Police Service Six over the Security Six. One of those GP100's is in DAO mode which is likely my favorite DA revolver that I / we own.

As far as the tightness / durability aspect vs. the Six , it has been my finding that the GP100 revolvers that I have owned / sold / traded often times have just a touch more rotational & side to side play ( but not end shake ) than a Six. I know for a fact most to all of these GP's never saw heavy use and very likely came that way from the factory having somewhat more generous tolerances.
Thanks for the post, I just got a Service Six 4" SS circa 1984-85 and can really appreciate the assembly job, no cant to the barrel, good finish etc.
Best,
Rob

41 - 53 of 53 Posts