Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my eye on a stainless Security Six. It has a turn line on the cylinder and rubber grips. Any thoughts? Do they hold their value well?

·
Super Moderator
21,336 Posts
The beauty of stainless is with a little polishing it will look brand new. The pricing I am seeing over the last 10 years has been positive. If you can get it for a decent price and it's what you want go for it. They are a great revolver.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I shot a blued one back in the ‘80’s, liked it but didn’t buy. Looks like this time it will happen.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Security Six is probably one of the best DA Revolvers made. You will not regret owning one...they are as solid of a revolver as you will find.
Good Luck with it....

·
Pony Soldier
8,519 Posts
Post a pick when you get it. I have 2 and love them.
Greg

·
Registered
443 Posts
My 1979 vintage Security Six is a real gem. Purchased brand new. Solid as a brick. I've got tens of thousands of rounds down the tube and it looks and feels like day one. The only thing I've done is to ditch the small factory grips in favor of a set of larger target sized grips.

Really, I couldn't overstate the quality of this thing. It sports a 3.5 pound break (factory) with zero creep or grit. I would highly recommend the Security Six.

Pic:

Bayou52

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
My first double action wheel gun is a 6 ich security 6. I still have it 42 years and 60 k rounds later. It is old enough that it was worked on by Les Baer when he was a gunsmith in PA. It has been over 30 years since they were made so they are slowly escalating in value. The odds are decent you can buy it shoot it and sell it if you want to for more money than you purchase dit for in a few years. The gp100 is heavir but unless you are going to shoot 200 k rounds no stronger for practical purposes.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Notice my avatar. Security Six 4" made in 1978 (before the "WARNING" roll stamp was on the barrel!), bought in '79. Added the Siles grips right away.
Later on I put a trigger stop screw in the trigger guard and stoned the sear / hammer just a tiny bit. Smooth as silk. It really didn't need either jobs, but I was young, I was reading gun magazines, and, well, it worked!
Found out recently that my wife claimed this as "her gun" while she was talking to a co-worker!!

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
I bought a 6" new in '78. It has appreciated well. A solid investment. A great shooter.

·
Pony Soldier
8,519 Posts
Well, the seller backed out. The search goes on.
Keep looking they are out there!
Is that Fairlane your car? I owned a 66 maroon 2dr with black bench seat, it had 390, 335 hp, and a c6. No posi so it would burn the one tire as long as you stayed on the gas!

Greg

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
The Security Six is one of the best revolvers ever made. Rugged good looks, built like a tank.

Go for it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep looking they are out there!
Is that Fairlane your car? I owned a 66 maroon 2dr with black bench seat, it had 390, 335 hp, and a c6. No posi so it would burn the one tire as long as you stayed on the gas!

Greg
My second one, first was a blue 67, this one is a 66.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Look on Utah Gun Exchange. com then look under Ruger revolver’s there’s a few of them on UGE. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Tanks.

Usually cost about $400-450, and are very nice revolvers. A similar Smith & Wesson Model 19 is usually more like $700-750.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts