Ruger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love mine, and second all the good things everyone has said about them. I doubt it'll ever break. My only caution would be I read (on the totally reliable internet) that Ruger no longer has parts, and if it does break, they won't repair it. (Same story on the S&W model 19 someone mentioned above, incidentally.) Ruger apparently instead offers you a discount on a new GP100. That said, some of the early GP100s had no underlug, both 4" and 6", and handle almost as well as the Sec Six, if you can find one. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Argee, I have your revolver's twin. Superb revolver. I will never sell mine. I really like your vintage leather gear. I think a nice Security Six for $450 would be a good investment. I carry mine around the farm for dealing with large pests.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The S6 series was one of Ruger's very best designs ever.
The GP100 that replaced it was marketed as an 'improved' design - it wasn't. Just bigger and clunkier.

My first centerfire handgun in 1975. I was a late teen, working at an LGS. My Dad had to make the actual purchase after I put it on layaway.

A year later I started handloading with a friend.
Ashamed to say I put many nuclear level handloads through that 4" SS S6, never a problem.
Eventually traded it away, and just a few years ago found it's near twin on GB.
Same year of production.
It does duty routinely as a woods gun. And a great reminder of my first.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Argee, I have your revolver's twin. Superb revolver. I will never sell mine. I really like your vintage leather gear. I think a nice Security Six for $450 would be a good investment. I carry mine around the farm for dealing with large pests.
I thought about selling it once. I had pretty much been relegated to safe queen status..then one day I took it for a range trip...that re-ignited the old flame and forever changed my mind. I also carry mine when I'm out doing chores and still as a hunting sidearm.

I had to chuckle when I read the words "vintage leather gear" then I realized that it is over 40 years old and I guess it is indeed vintage. LOL...The holster is a Smith & Wesson and the speedloader pouch is HKS (which is still current).

·
Super Moderator
21,336 Posts
I thought about selling it once. I had pretty much been relegated to safe queen status..then one day I took it for a range trip...that re-ignited the old flame and forever changed my mind. I also carry mine when I'm out doing chores and still as a hunting sidearm.

I had to chuckle when I read the words "vintage leather gear" then I realized that it is over 40 years old and I guess it is indeed vintage. LOL...The holster is a Smith & Wesson and the speedloader pouch is HKS (which is still current).
The vintage thing makes me laugh. Guess I've reached the vintage stage. I first bought a 6" BBL S6 in 1979 and it did nightstand duty for a lot of years. It was the most accurate 357 revolver I have owned. With 10.2 gr of Blue Dot under 158 gr JHP I could cut the bull out of a target at 25 yards. Of course that was before my eyes became vintage. ;) In a moment of weakness I traded it in on a GP100.

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
The vintage thing makes me laugh. Guess I've reached the vintage stage. I first bought a 6" BBL S6 in 1979 and it did nightstand duty for a lot of years. It was the most accurate 357 revolver I have owned. With 10.2 gr of Blue Dot under 158 gr JHP I could cut the bull out of a target at 25 yards. Of course that was before my eyes became vintage. ;) In a moment of weakness I traded it in on a GP100.
A GP100 is on my bucket list. I've become relegated to the fact that I probably am unable to sell a firearm once I've acquired it. I've done it only once and have regretted it ever since. I traded an old Ithaca Featherlight 16 gauge for a compound bow once. Still brings a tear to my eye to this day as the bow never worked out for me and is long gone.

·
Exchequer
4,575 Posts
Well, the seller backed out. The search goes on.
They do pop up online now and again, you just need to keep looking.

I managed to snag a near mint, blued Six about 2 years ago. I think I paid around $450 plus shipping. I also was able to find the rare Speed Six SS in 9mm earlier this year. Probably paid too much for it, but it was something I really wanted.

Good luck in your journey.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a stainless security six with 4 in barrel on the classified section with ammo wood and pachmyr grips if anyone is interested

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, JV.

The Security Six pictured in my above post is used only for range and target shooting. So, yes, it is routinely used in single action mode for target shooting. I've never disassembled this revolver or done any modifications to it. It's 3.5 pound trigger break is just right.

These models simply were simply engineered and built very well!

Bayou52

21 - 32 of 32 Posts