Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 1985 vintage, 2.75 inch followed me home yesterday. I assume the info in the IBOK well apply to this? Anything I should check over before a range trip? These DA Rugers are a bit different than my DA Smiths.

·
Registered
987 Posts
This 1985 vintage, 2.75 inch followed me home yesterday. I assume the info in the IBOK well apply to this? Anything I should check over before a range trip? These DA Rugers are a bit different than my DA Smiths.
The Security Six has a different trigger group than the GP's and SP's and once disassembled, Ruger needs to reassemble them. I made this mistake and realized that I needed a special fixture for reassembly. The gun was going to Ruger anyway for refinishing(blued model) so I started to experiment with disassembly and that's how I learned to leave it alone.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,968 Posts
madcratebuilder, The IBOK will work quite nicely with your Security-Six. As Flash mentioned, the trigger uses a different spring but other than that ... they come apart and go together pretty much like a GP-100. The cylinder assembly is designed more like a S&W. The Security-Six was designed to be field stripped by the user so I can't imagine why Flash couldn't get his back together ... maybe it had a burr or casting flash that interfered ...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nice find!!!

I used the IBOK with mine with no problems. It's a little different but close enough that it's easy to figure out.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
The only thing you need to check is your supply of bullets. I had my 4" SS out for the second time yesterday and I'm really likin' this gun. I just need to get off my butt and order a forcing cone cutter. I had a lot of crud built up after 100 rounds. Anyway, I real sure you gonna' like the gun. Nice find.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nice catch!

Ed

·
Registered
85 Posts
I really like my Security Six. I found some factory target stocks at a local show in great shape for $20. They make it easier to shoot heavier loads or longer sessions of lite ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With just a disassembly and cleaning the trigger pull is much improved, very smooth. With a spring kit and some polishing I'm sure it well even be smoother. I put 50 rds down range yesterday, I like it. I think I need to look at some more DA Rugers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I LOVE my SS snubbie Security Six. It gets shot weekly and carried ~1/2 the time. It is on my side 100% of the time while hiking. It is truly one of the best most versatile guns I own. I like it so much I'm looking to add a blue 4" and 6" to my collection.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
madcratebuilder, I really like the looks of those smooth grips on your security six. Any Idea who makes them?
No name on them. There is a four digit number stamped on the inside. I believe they have the correct Ruger emblems on them. I sure like the feel of them. I have seen over size Ruger grips that had a very similar shape but they had checkering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts