Ruger Forum banner

What 3 things do you consider most important in your choice of a CCW?(Rev. or Auto)

• Looks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Size

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Brand

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Caliber

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • Price

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Dependability

Votes: 39 92.9%
  • Durability

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Ability to shoot it good

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Features (Safties, DA/SA, DAO, Ect)

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Easy to clean and maintain

Votes: 2 4.8%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vote on the 3 things that you think were the most important to you in selecting your CCW. It can be for either a Revolver or Auto. The poll will take more than three, but please only vote on three. :)

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
They are all important, but reliability has to be the #1 thing in any gun intended for self defense.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
#1 Dependability
#2 Ability to shoot it good
#3 Size

I agree that weight is a big consideration, but still not in my top 3....probably #4.....

Very good poll.....

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
dependability----she's got to go bang every time

ability to shoot good---You got to be able to hit what your pointing at

durability---To be able to hit it you need continous practice

·
Registered
404 Posts
Size - if it's not of a size and weight to carry comfortably and keep concealed in normal everyday activities then it will get left home.

Dependability - it has to go bang every time the trigger is pulled

Caliber - it has to be in a caliber that is effective for self defense. For me that is .380 and larger.

·
Registered
401 Posts
1 - Dependability
2 - Caliber
3 - Features - I want to shoot the BG not me

* Ability to shoot it good - Practice, practice, practice. Any CCW either New or N2M gets 1000+ rounds w/ different ammo before I carry it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Size (and weight) can make a big difference in whether a gun is comfortable to carry for most people. Dependability and caliber are the other main factors for me. Most times one has to compromise to a certain extent because there is no perfect gun for every occasion. Whether you favor large or a smaller caliber though, any gun is better than no gun, and practice whenever possible can make a big difference on how you shoot. :)
Baker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Type of action makes a difference when you're south"paw"...thumb safeties must be ambi...and old and fumbly....action must be instinctive....cause, 'cording to some folks, I'm pretty endstinktive....

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hope Ruger takes a look at this Thread. If they would do a little polling they could see what they need to produce to sell all us that carry. All the criteria listed is important but its interesting to see the 4 most important ones. Thanks to everyone for participating. :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Seems like they're only taking input from college graduates who don't shave yet....all America is catering to the Baby Boomers, who are the biggest buying group today...Ruger?...nope....it'll show up on their bottom line, and soon....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Being a teacher and on a limited salary, price is an important thing for me. I also picked size and safety features.

Hence, I went with a Glock 27. I initially had a P95, but determined it was too big for me to carry concealed so I switched to Glock...but I did like the way the Ruger shot.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I agree with you, Calvin. I'm suprised, though, that Dependability was not 100%. If it don't go bang everytime, how can you trust it?....just thinking out loud.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dependability, of course.

Size and weight, it's a CCW after all, not an hand cannon!

Caliber, call me a snob but I won't use anything other than a .45. Of course .357 and .40 will do the job as well. 9mm and smaller it just does not make the cut IMHO.

My new CCW is a m-5 Ultra carry x. It's a 1911 with 10 rounds and an overall legth of 7". 1911s are also the semi-auto I am most familiar with, having shot them a lot, gunsmithing, customizing. I also like the fact that it's a SA, so the first and the last shot are always the same! Oh did I mention it's a 1911? ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
NAA Gardian .32 in the Pocket all the time... Works out real nice, I can just walk around resting my hand on the "Little Heater" in my pocket...<:))
#1 Dependability
#2 Ability to shoot it good
#3 Size
http://members.aol.com/normtrudeau2/NAA/CaseAndGuardian.jpg

And what ever you do, DON'T MESS WITH THE DOG...!!!...<:))

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i'm suprised that durability is scoreing low---then again we are are mostly ruger owners and know durability is a given!:D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I went with dependability as #1 and ability to shoot it well as #2. Didn't really have a #3. I carry quite a few different guns. Everything from my fairly ugly KelTec to a full size XD & Sig. And to me they're all durable.
Big weight and size difference ( and price ). But I agree, you have to be sure it's going to go bang.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts