Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone think they would be iterested is selling reloads prices of ammo are getting crazy im not sure how much shipping would be i live in california prices?.40

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
not me, too many legal considerations. Now if you want to come shoot with me, you can use any of the ammo I'd bring. Just pitch in and buy some powder or bullets to help out the cost.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Don't know the legalities of being a manufacturer of ammo for retail sale. Also would not try to import anything into CA as it may come back and bite me with regulations calling for civil and criminal penalties.
I suggest get into loading and roll your own as in this thread:
http://www.rugerforum.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2365

www.leeprecision.com is a good inexpensive place to start and recover your costs of components and equiptment quickly if you shoot a lot.

Reactions: FCCM

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i hear ya you have to have a licence to have a yardsale more than 2 times a year i can only imagin the penaltys for such an crime lol guess ill have to save up and by the equipment myself...as an average shooter (going out a couple times a month) how fast will it pay for itself 12 ga .40 ill easyly go thru2-3 hundred 12 and what ever i have in 40 thanks

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
It really does not have to be a big investment. Buy one of the Lee kits and Lee dies. Cheapest way to get started reloading, and it will pay for itself real soon.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Deputy, I guess this schema may work: the one is making a wish list on Midway including all required components; another buys them for him, and the first one is sending out reloads as a gift. Shouldn't be considered as a retail sale, so pretty legal. Not recommended to use for self-defense, but for the range practice why not? :)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
No disrespect to any California residents, but i am so paranoid about their laws that they would probably label me a "straw" manufactuer/seller of ammo!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was trying to figure out if a straw purchace would include family always seen dads and there lil girls and boys at the gunstore buying the lil charter arms 15 in bolt action 22 in pink or blue so are they breaking the law? wouldnt those lil 22s be short bbl rifles not shur the actual size but they were small enough to fit in a school back pac if i remember how else can you get your family involved in shooting i paid for my own when i was like 10-11 200.oo for a .22 still have it it was during the paper work times had it in my dads name....we quit talking he threatend me that he was going to call it in stolen and all this crap if i didnt give it to him for 90 bux and a guitar amp...so i grabed it and got in to the car said goahead youl get busted for buying it for me lol

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I don't shoot other peoples reloads and I don't give mine out. There's just to much trouble you can get into if something happens. Reloading shop I deal with sells them all the time. I don't guess they have ever had any problems.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I bet you right, Baldy. Technically there's no difference between your own reloads and someone else's you trust. Legally it may cause trouble if "something" happens. You never know.

I used FrangibleBullets.com to buy 9mm 90grn FP factory reloads. Little expensive but good shooters.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The liability concerns scare me. I've never had a problem with my reloads, but I take my time. I ain't in it for profit. Mass production doesn't go well with quality control IMHO. Speed things up and stuff happens.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The only reloads that go into my guns come from my press, and the way the law is today I will not loan out any.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Great reason....
I had always read that reloaders are kinda funny with their Product. They put great time,Effort and Pride in what they do. I say so as I'm a Reloader..
I had a good friend at work ask me to reload some of his .380 Brass that he had been saving. I turned down his offer as it seemed typical of what other reloaders would do.
Like 3 weeks later I asked him how his shooting was doing. He replied that his pistol "Blew up" while shooting. Of Course I asked him what happened,and if he was reloading his own. He said No he shot some off brand factory ammo they were selling where he shot. He said the Bullet Busted the Chamber and Cracked the Barrel. The Gun was a Kel-tec and he sent it back along with the rest of the ammo he had left.
Well in the End he got a new barrel with same serial number.

NOW,
I looked him straight in the eye and said "That very reason is why reloaders are so funny with what they make. I know no matter how much you trust me There is NO WAY that I could convince you that I didnt Double-Charge a round and cause that" he looked at me with a smile and said "I know"

Case In point...
It's not good practice to reload for someone else

Just my Exp.

Crazy4nitro

·
Registered
292 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Brandon

does anyone think they would be iterested is selling reloads prices of ammo are getting crazy im not sure how much shipping would be i live in california prices?.40
Several years ago I bought 500 rounds of 38 Special on line from a dealer. After about 75 shots I noticed the report ws only a pop and there was no recoil. I checked the cartridge and the bullet was gone. Looked down the barrel and there it was about 2 inches from the muzzle. If I had fired the next round there would not have been any gun left. I used my bullet puller and pulled 325 bullets. I found there were 6 more cartridges without any powder. I just reloaded the empties with 4.5 gr of Unique and reseated the pulled bullets. Should have reloaded myself to start.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
My former dept bought reloads from a major supplier. I still remember one officer who got a round stuck in his barrel from a squib load. I also remember another officer who opened a box of re-manufactured ammo of 9mm and while loading discovered a 380 acp round mixed in from the factory!!

This from an outfit where we carried their "new" manufactured ammo and then gathered the brass after qualification and sent it back in to be reloaded for training ammo.

Needless to say i was not impressed. I purchased my own for duty and qualification.

I will trust my reloads but (no offense) not anyone else's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.