Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that I needed a semi-auto shotgun in my life. Just curious as to what other people have and how they like them, what the purpose is and if the gun won't run a certain ammo type.

For a while I was torn between the FN SLP and the Beretta 1301 Tactical. I would've bought the Beretta except it only holds four rounds while the FN holds seven. The Beretta has bigger oversized controls which I like because I like to wear gloves when shooting. I know that an extended mag tube could be added to the Beretta for two extra rounds, but that's more expensive than a bigger bolt knob for the FN.
So I ordered the FN. Pics when in.

Post pics of yours too!

·
One more gun
316 Posts
I have a Saiga 12. Beast of a detachable mag semiauto. They are definitely a project gun and can get expensive, but lots of fun.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I bought a 1100 Remington in 1976 at Kmart for $250.00 and I really like it a lot. One time 5 quail got up and I started shooting I got 4 of them. My brother-in-laws helped me find them. All I did was pick one at a time. It hold 5 but the 5th quail he was pack'n the mail didn't get a shot at him. My brother-in -laws called me dead eye and said they were going to leave me at home so they could have a chance.I know what I wrote is hard to believe but it's true.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have three: a 20ga Remington 1100, a Saiga, (AK47), 12ga and a model 1400 Winchester 12 ga........robin

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
717 Posts
I've got a Remington 11-87 with both the standard RemChoke barrel and a "SP" barrel I ordered from Remington, that I've never seen since (even through Remington..it's a short, smooth bore barrel with RemChoke and a cantilever scope mount.

I've got it topped with a 3-9x Simmons scope for use as a deer slug gun.

Here's an OK photo of it with my grandfather's Kinfolks knife...the subject was the knife...

Aqualung

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,875 Posts
Not yet but I'm drooling over a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge with the wood stock. Fits me like a glove and very light. Anybody have any experience with one of those please let me know how it works for you. :)

·
Exalted One
1,665 Posts
Mossberg 930 combo (18.5" and 28" barrels). Home defense only (OO Buck), with the the 18.5". Never fired through the 28" barrel.

Have had some problems with it when manually cycling, but once it gets going, it is fine. 4+1 stock mag, not really interested in extending it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a Remington 870 and a FRANCHI AFFINITY both in 12-ga and 28" bbl . Mainly for upland bird hunting and trap on the side when time permits .

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not yet but I'm drooling over a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge with the wood stock. Fits me like a glove and very light. Anybody have any experience with one of those please let me know how it works for you. :)
FRANCHI AFFINITY in 20-ga is a terrific gun and is perfect for Upland bird hunting up close like bobwhites or pheasants and other animals such as rabbits . Actually over all a great hunting gun or trap/skeet gun . I have the 12-ga cause I have always been partial to 12-ga :) but I like the 12 better for wide open hunting like doves or possible waterfowl when chance arises .

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,875 Posts
FRANCHI AFFINITY in 20-ga is a terrific gun and is perfect for Upland bird hunting up close like bobwhites or pheasants and other animals such as rabbits . Actually over all a great hunting gun or trap/skeet gun . I have the 12-ga cause I have always been partial to 12-ga :) but I like the 12 better for wide open hunting like doves or possible waterfowl when chance arises .
Thanks you! I just seem to gravitate toward 20s for upland game. Can't stand the weight of most 12s myself, either carrying around all day through thick grass or getting on a flushing bird fast. And the only ducks I hunt are via jump shooting along a creek.

I'm thinking that Affinity would be great for me, and also for my wife and kid who's about to grow out of his Mossberg Bantam youth shotgun.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks you! I just seem to gravitate toward 20s for upland game. Can't stand the weight of most 12s myself, either carrying around all day through thick grass or getting on a flushing bird fast. And the only ducks I hunt are via jump shooting along a creek.

I'm thinking that Affinity would be great for me, and also for my wife and kid who's about to grow out of his Mossberg Bantam youth shotgun.
The 12-ga only weights in at 6.8-lbs. , the 20-ga. at 5.9-lbs for wood stock and 5.6-lbs for synthetic . Myself I am not fond of synthetic , I prefer wood . But once you let the wife and and sibling use it you may have to buy another cause you might not get to use it much or any at all ;) . For price and quality this AFFINITY is best bargain . I actually passed up a Beretta A300 Outlander for my FRANCHI . I was going to buy the A300 but when I saw the stock (oiled wood) it was darker than I like and was slightly heavier and did not feel right when shouldered . The AFFINITY was perfect , weight , aim , drop and length of pull (LOP) . Plus when I aimed I was looking down the barrel , not up . I do the technique where you close your eyes , bring the s/g to shoulder as aiming and open my eyes to see where I'm pointing and how I'm looking . Watch this video and you'll know what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-JOj4J_Ltc

·
Registered
407 Posts
Bought a Stoeger m2000 several years ago when
I started duck hunting, shoot ducks geeese and turkey
with it, cycles what ever shells I've put through it. For a $400
Gun I've more than got my moneys worth

·
Registered
971 Posts
Never been fond of semi-auto shotguns myself, being partial to double barrel side by sides. My wife, however, really likes her Benelli Montefeltro, 20 gauge, light weight and points well.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts