Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Browning A-5, two of them. Both are round knobs from the 50's. One is scoped with an extension magazine and barrel cut to the length of the mag extension. The other a stock Magnum 30" full choke. I also have a Citori O/U in 12 ga.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Never had a semi-auto shotgun until two years ago. I hunted deer, ducks and pheasants with my 12 gauge, 870 pump, dove and quail with my Browning Citori O/U 20 gauge, and I won a 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge Browning BPS that I used for turkey and goose hunting.

Job change moved me away from my goose hunting buddies and I hadn't hunted goose in 8 or 9 years. Moved back into Central Illinois 3 years ago and started goose hunting again. We go snow goose hunting a couple of weekends each winter. My brother describes snow goose hunting to extreme dove hunting. The BPS was killing my shoulder putting out 3 or 4 boxes of shells during a day of snow goose hunting.

I traded the BPS for a Browning Maxxus. Also a 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge. Bought the Maxxus because it uses the same chokes as the BPS, and I had about $250 in various chokes. I trusted the claim that it was a much softer shooting shotgun.

I've now gone through one pheasant season and two turkey seasons and two snow goose seasons with it. Hasn't missed a beat with any ammunition I've tried. It's the first plastic stocked gun I ever bought. I prefer wood and blue steel myself, but if I were only limited to one shotgun, this would be the one. It has become my primary shotgun. It handles 2 3/4 upland game loans, 3 inch turkey loads, and 3 1/2 goose loads without a hitch. If I would have had some light dove loads this fall I would have tried it for dove hunting. But I got a case of 20 gauge Winchester dove loads given to me so I had no need to buy dove loads this year. I am very pleased with the Browning Maxxus.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I have therem as in Nj 6 shots is the limit on a semi auto shotgun. Manual repeaters no limit so 14 shot keltec and utas are fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been shooting a Benelli M1 (older production, HK marked) for a while now. I grew up in a LE family, and I was raised around tactical stuff, so that's always been "home" for me. Since I've gotten older, I've been shifting my interest towards what's practical in my life. Getting into bird hunting, and thinking about USPSA.

Biggest trouble for me, now, is whether to stick with the M1 for hunting (and get another barrel)... or to get a dedicated bird gun, and use the Benelli for 3 gun matches.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've got a Browning Lite 12 my wife gave me for Christmas after returning from Vietnam in the 60's. Beautiful gun; they don't make guns or do bluing like this anymore. It was made in Belgium and she got it from Sears.:eek: Used to hunt a lot with it but it now a safe queen; never to be sold.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Remington 1100s and 1187s for years.
same for our family .... 3 11-87's and 1 1100, all 12 ga .... have had all of them for pushing 40 years and they do well .... the 11-87's have fired 10's of thousands of rounds shooting skeet and are actively used in hunting birds and deer .... if buying today, would probably go with Remington's Versa Max .... also have a 20 ga pump, a 12 ga over and under (Ruger Red Label), a 16 ga side by side (Fox Model B) .... when we go to the vault to take out a shotgun, the 11-87 is selected the vast majority of the time

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Not yet but I'm drooling over a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge with the wood stock. Fits me like a glove and very light. Anybody have any experience with one of those please let me know how it works for you. :)
I can't say anything about an Affinity, but I can about Franchi in general. I own two semi auto shotguns, a 20 and a 12, both Franchi's that were bought back in the 70s. Love those guns. One of the most well made semis out there in my opinion. Dead reliable and handle very well

·
Registered
880 Posts
A-5, 1100, Benelli. Used to shoot Rem 11-48's in various gauges. Always functioned well and handle like an 870 except that you don't have to "pump" th' thing. Generally, a heckuva bargain on the used market.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have three semi-auto shotguns, all Browning Golds.

12 gauge Fusion 3"
20 gauge Fusion 3"
12 gauge Hunter 3 1/2"

Love them all!!

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
I have 2 ... Remington 11-87 and a Remington Sportsman 58, both in 12 ga

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
I've got a Browning Lite 12 my wife gave me for Christmas after returning from Vietnam in the 60's. Beautiful gun; they don't make guns or do bluing like this anymore. It was made in Belgium and she got it from Sears.:eek: Used to hunt a lot with it but it now a safe queen; never to be sold.

My dad has one (not the light model) but made in Belgium ... I have hunted deer with it and I love the gun. Gets a bit heavy after being on your arm all day in the field.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I bought an SKB, which is an Ithica made in Japan more or less, paid almost no money for it, and enjoy that thing more than anything. My buddies Browning A5 is also a treasure to shoot.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Had a 1187 rem in 20 guage for clay ...pain to clean/ o ring maitenence etc..
Got lazy,, sold it,,gonna pick up a over/ under.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I used to use a couple Remington Model 11 riots guns for HD...they were Cleveland Police surplus.
Two years ago, I bought a Beretta 1201FP Detroit PD surplus. It's a kissing cousin to the Benelli M1S90 and uses the same inertial bolt. What a blast to shoot. In fact, I'm heading to the range today to shoot some buckshot.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts