Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well finally did it, sent my GP100 4.2" off to Marc at Gemini today, so in about 12 weeks or less it should come back a little shorter at 3" and have the V8 porting, along with polishing trigger, hammer, pins, cylinder release, and ejection rod, skeletonize the trigger guard, the frame and barrel will be bead blasted.
The only thing undecided is to remove all the roll marks from the barrel or slab side the barrel.

The action and hammer bob were done by TJ's customs a while back.

It's going to be a long 12 weeks. Stay tuned for finished pictures.

·
Registered
742 Posts
What do you mean by “skeletonise trigger gguard? I like the looks of a slab sided 3” barrel. Dave Clements has some pictures of them on his website. Clements custom guns. I have a gp100 that I want to customize. My plans are to convert it to .41spl. Cut and slab side the barrel to 3”. Action and accurizing job. I have thought about the bead blasted finish, but I think I will go with the brushed stainless. I haven’t finalized anything, but I am thinking Jack Huntington. Congratulations! I am sure you will end up with a fine custom!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Gemini does nice work and I freely ripped off a lot of ideas from them back when I was in my GP100 tinkering phase. There are still a couple of GP100 projects in the back of my mind and Gemini is to blame for all the GP100s taking up space in the safe. Looking forward to seeing the finished results.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Uh oh. I just looked up Gemini Customs. I knew of them but I didn't know where they were. Turns out the shop is about 45 minutes from my house. That is NOT good news for my wallet.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it's only been 2 weeks, 14 days, and still, have apx 10 more weeks to go.
In the meantime ordered a custom set of Badger grips, so I'll have new shoes ready and waiting for her when she gets back .

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had a talk with Marc at Gemini yesterday as we changed the porting from V8 on the sides to the top, so now the HI-Viz sight I had sent him won't work.
We are now going with a old school Ruger Red insert sight or what ever Marc comes up with.
9 more weeks to go.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well, after a few more brain-storming sessions with Marc at Gemini concerning barrel, porting and front sights, my GP100 is now on its way home to me. Marc really like the idea of a 3" GP100 Kalifornia Custom.
I didn't ask for a picture of the finished product as I really want to see it for the first time when I remove it from the shipping container.
Stay tuned for pictures and a complete description of Marc's custom work.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like 5 weeks give or take a day or two, I was lucky as Marc really liked the project and made time for it, the original estimate was 8-12 weeks.
Hope to have her home by tomorrow 07/22/20.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well folks here she is, but first a description of what Marc at Gemini did to my GP100.
1.Remove 4.2" barrel and supplied and replaced with 3" barrel.
2.11 Degree crown,11 degree throat.028 shoulder setback, gap at.006, installed to TDC at 12:00.
3.Remove left & right barrel script and factory warnings, smooth clean barrel.
4.V-8 Hybrid-Port , cut for night sight.
5. Dehorn & blend body lines, glass bead blast.
6.Finish ream and hone cylinder chambers.
7.Polish pins, ejector rod, ejector release, trigger & hammer.
8. Skeletonize trigger guard.
9. Check action, replaced springs, shimmed hammer @ .003 x2, hammer dogs @ .007 x 2, trigger @ .004 & .002, clean , flushed firing pin of debris.
10.Installed new rear Ruger sight with rounded corners, installed new Novak night sight with orange ring
11.Test fired with 357mag & 38spl , proofed action, final clean and lube.
Hope you like her as much as I do as she is better then I expected, just need to go shooting. Now here are the pictures:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts