1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
God bless them for their sense of duty.

·
Super Moderator
21,469 Posts
Another look at them from September. Incredible and the huricane is just moving ashore.

A photo of soldiers guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from September that went viral on the Internet today, as Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast. (Karin Markert/OldGuard/Facebook)

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I've had the honor to visit Arlington twice in my life. Once as a teenager and again just two years ago. It's an incredible moving experience.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Been there myself for the changing of the Guard. A very impressive and solemn event. Will very likely visit again so wife and son can see it as well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Incredible group of Soldiers. Not much, if anything, will keep them from their mission. I got to visit The Tomb of the Unknown a couple of weeks ago. I was actually able to go into their barracks below the tomb and visit with the guards and the sergeant of the guard and watch them as they prepared for their duty and the changing of the guards. It was a great experience.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
when i still taught back in PA i had the opportunity to take several classes of 5th graders on field trips to D.C. arlington, and the tomb of the unknowns was always the most awe-inspiring part of the trip. and you would think a bunch of bubbly enthusiastic 5th graders might not get it, might be a little goofy or cavalier about the whole thing, but let me tell you, they got it! they were reverently quiet and respectful. it was an awesome sight for them to see, and they took it all in in the right way. i doubt any of those guys will even complain when they get off duty tonight. just part of the job when you've been chosen for such duty. quite a thing!

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you ever get the chance to see the TV documentary on this, don't miss it. They spend HOURS just getting ready. Not one single thing can be out of place, right down to the hairs on their heads. The men who do this believe it is the greatest honor they will ever behold and it shows.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
If you ever get the chance to see the TV documentary on this, don't miss it. They spend HOURS just getting ready. Not one single thing can be out of place, right down to the hairs on their heads. The men who do this believe it is the greatest honor they will ever behold and it shows.
i've seen that one! it is great! a definite must-see!

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
A few years ago I heard that some of the guards were released from their duty during a storm and they refused to leave their post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts