Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a very old DWM German Luger. I've approximated the date at 1914, but I'd like to know for sure when it was manufactured. All the parts have the original serial number, or at least it's 2 digit suffix.

Anyone know how I can find out more about my gun?

Thanks.

EDIT: I've read that they reused 4 digit serial numbers and stamped the date on the receiver near the barrel. However, mine has no date stamped on it. The serial number is 7490.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I joined lugerforum.com this morning, posted my question and some pic's and got my answer.

I had my hopes up that it was a fairly rare 1914 or 1920 Commercial Navy model. However, the sights gave it away. It is a 1920 Commercial model made in 1924. They're telling me that the barrel was swapped out at some point, but the serial number markings are still a mystery. Could Luger have swapped the barrel? It's not impossible. As it is, it's probably worth about 1/2 value, which is what I paid for it.

Nice to know I didn't get ripped off and I had several comments about how good of shape it's in. It really is a great shooter, with real sights, target pistol quality. The trigger is unlike any other gun I've shot. It barely moves and the pull is probably around 4#. Nice and crisp.

Well, at least the mystery is over. There some nice folks over there on lugerforum.com and the site is setup the same as this one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts