Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,330 Posts
txpete, Great looking S-70. I'm kind of partial to them too. Here's one I bought new back in 1978. It has a documented 70,000+ rounds of hardball through it. I finally had to replace the barrel and reblue it. I did some other enhancements too. Wilson white dot front sight, Novak Extreme Duty adjustable 2-dot rear sight, Extended slide stop and thumb safety, Beavertail grip safety, skeleton hammer, long steel trigger, arched mainspring housing, Pachmayer finger groove grips, hex grip screws, and a host of internal modifications. This gun looked much like yours when new and cost me $300. My how times have changed. If your Series 70 needs a partner, I have a empty slot in my safe for it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats one fine looking pistol.over the years I have had 1911's come and go but this one has always stayed put.
pete

·
16,330 Posts
txpete, I feel the same way. I used this Series 70 in competition for many years. When I want to "strut my stuff" at the range, here's what I take. Dispite the age and number of rounds fired, this ol' blue beater will still shoot out the 10 ring. I have a bunch of 1911 type guns but this one has earned its keep.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Man Pete that is one fine looking pistol you have there. The 70 series is one that is at the top of my long list. Good luck with it.

·
16,330 Posts
RNettles, Does that mean there might be a 1911 type gun in your future? I know you are a P-gun fan so I must warn you. These things are way worse than any other gun addiction. There are so many after market parts available to configure your 1911 platform. Short of "hard" changes like sights, you can install / uninstall all sorts of options without altering the platform.

The MK IV Series 70 Government Model in my photo is a good example. Accurate? I hope to poop in your mess kit! Reliable? Haven't had a malfunction with this gun in many years. Trigger? a very crisp 3.5 lbs. Ammo? It eats everything from semi-wad cutters to JHPs, lead, jacketed, makes no difference. My most accurate load is a 200 gr LSWC with 3.5 gr of Bullseye powder and a 12 lb recoil spring.

This is just one of the many 1911s in my safe. I have a Stainless Commander configured for carry, a stainless AMT configured for tactical, a Colt Ace (22 LR) bullseye gun, and a Les Baer just for grins.

Here's the AMT Hardballer:

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
When mworking buddy bought himself a Combat Commander satin nickel last year, my knees went weak----I carried one for years back in the 70's-that's one gun you never get over and I still want one---maybe a Springfield someday-after I get all the guns I really need....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Iowegan
What's your impression about the Hardballer. Do they make them anymore?

·
16,330 Posts
jaredshs, AMTs kind of remind me of Rugers. They were very well built with plenty of features. Also like Rugers out-of-the-box, they didn't quite finish the job. Lots of internal machine marks, some galling, and a horrible trigger pull. Once "cleaned up", they are just as good as a Colt.

Every gun has a story so here's my AMT's. I bought this gun at a local gunshow from a private owner NIB and cheap. The owner said he tried to fire it but it wouldn't work. He tried to send it back to the factory only to find AMT had gone out of business. I figured I could repair it and still have minimal investment. When I got it home, I found the hammer was hitting the leaf of the Millett adjustable rear sight and didn't make it to the firing pin. A few clicks on the elevation screw and it worked like a champ.

I installed a new 3-finger spring, honed the sear, dressed up the breach face and adjusted the extractor tension. Now the trigger is light and crisp and it feeds perfectly. Accuracy with the factory barrel wasn't anything to brag about (2.5" @ 25 yds from a rest) so I bought a new Kart match grade s/s barrel and bushing and fitted them. Now it will get sub-inch groups at 25 yds. With exception of the trigger, all parts are compatible with standard 1911s. The factory magazine was garbage so I bought some Wilson 8-rounders.

My AMT Hardballer came with very nice Millett adjustable sights and all the goodies shown in the photo. I have since installed a skeleton hammer and a set of Pachmayer finger groove grips.

AMT got into a nasty law suit with Ruger. Seems they made a clone of Ruger's MK II pistol and 10/22 rifle. Ruger sued them for patent infringements. Soon after, AMT went out of business. AMTs show up once in a while and typically sell for $750ish. The long slide version will bring about $1000.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I've "held"(read fondeled) a NIB Sprinfield Armory 1911 Parkerized 7+1 and 2 magazines... Talk about weak in the knees... The price was right too. $605 after tax! It could be a birthday present waiting to happen!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Really nice gun Pete! I had a 70 series that I shot bullseye with years ago. Wish I still had it...it was a tack driver.

·
16,330 Posts
wetidlerjr, Very nice! I like the "pinto" effect of the blue thumb safety, slide lock, grip safety, and barrel bushing. Did it come this way or did you switch some parts?

·
Registered
377 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Iowegan

wetidlerjr, Very nice! I like the "pinto" effect of the blue thumb safety, slide lock, grip safety, and barrel bushing. Did it come this way or did you switch some parts?
This is a NIB stock gun. [8D]

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
yep hard to not got hot under the collar.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts