Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a brand new Ruger New Vaquero 5105 in .45 Colt four days ago. Plan to use it mostly for Cowboy Fast Draw but will also shoot some regular .45 LC rounds. This is my first SA revolver so I was practicing loading some new, unfired .45 LC shells (from CFDA). Five of the six chambers work fine with the empty shells (as does a G-Sight laser training cartridge) but in one chamber the shell (or laser) jams with the shell about halfway in. I was difficult enough to push the half inserted shell out so I didn't try inserting it all the way. These are brand new never fired shells and I've tried half a dozen with the same result.

I removed the cylinder to clean and check for obstructions but everything looks good. With the cylinder out of the gun the same shells drop into and fall out of the cylinder easily. I have not yet fired a round (wax or lead) so I don't know where the hammer strikes a primer but it seems like it's out of index. If I carefully rotate the cylinder to the gate but before the index click, I can load or unload a shell without a problem. But if I rotate the cylinder to the click at least one of six won't go in. It appears the shell is jamming against part of the gate.

Anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy fix or will the gun need to go back to Ruger?

The is a new gun so I sent Ruger a note. I'm disappointed because I purchased the New Vaquero over a less expensive Colt SAA replica because of Ruger's reputation and the transfer bar safety. My first Ruger was a Security Six I purchased 30+ years ago and it's still a great gun. But this is the second Ruger firearm I have purchased in the last 24 months that has had problems right out of the box.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
It seems Ruger, across the board are having more out of the box issues than ever before. Ruger handguns are aren’t my thing, as long they go boom I’m happy, good thing is there are a boatload of handgun guys here to point you in the right direction.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Texas Mack,
Welcome to the forums. Are you saying that you can load and unload all chambers with no problem as long as the cylinder is not in the frame? That makes me think the case rim is dragging against the side of the frame when you’re trying to load a case into that one particular chamber. Just to be sure before sending back to Ruger, can you measure the rim OD and make sure it’s absolutely no larger than SAAMI spec max of 0.512”? Maybe try some factory 45 Colt rounds if you have any handy. You surely shouldn’t have to be doing this on a brand new gun. Back to Ruger for a no-cost checkout and correction sounds like the best approach at the minute based on what you’ve said.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I assume you tried to clean the chamber really well with a brush, yes?
I have had this issue with several Ruger revolvers over the years. I polished a bit with a Dremel and it seems to take care of it but don't get too aggressive.
I am also guessing that you tried the same shell in all the other chambers to make sure it wasn't the shell case that was too long.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Is your Vaquero set up for free spin of the cylinder? If not, and you let it turn a little past alignment of the loading gate you cant turn it backwards to align it up. You have to turn it all the way around to get it to align up again.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Ok, if I am understanding your issue, the cylinders are fine when out of the gun, but if you try to load the cylinder, when you rotate till it clicks, at least one chamber is not perfectly lined up with the loading gate and you get too much binding trying to wrap the cartridge through the recoil shield into the chamber. If I am understanding, then the issue is this. You don’t load at the clicks. The clicks are not loading indexes, but a chamber lining up with the barrel.

So, if my understanding is correct, ignore the clicks and load when your chamber is centered in the loading gate. With the gate open the cylinder does not lock so you have a little play at might make it seem as if it is a loading notch, but it’s not. Just rotate the cylinder to center the chamber, don’t go past it to the next click if you don’t like swearing and it should load just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I think we lost him guys. I would love to hear where he is, but if I am reading the activity right, he hasn’t been back on since his original post. I hope he comes back, not just to hear what he finds out with the gun, but his progression on what he wants to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts