Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went searching for Ruger forums and found two, so I joined both so I could ask about by new (as of Saturday) GP100.

I'm 1911/Glock damaged, and I'm used to black/on/black or white outlines, or some such, so the shiney rear (fixed) site on the GP100 is a surprise to me. Do any of you do anything about this, or do you just live with it?

Thanks. This is my 1st Ruger (and second revolver...the first was in 1979!)

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
First and foremost, welcome to the forum! It's a great place with lots of information. I don't personally own a GP100, but I do know that the sights are fairly easy to swap with aftermarket offerings. You may want to consider the Williams Fire Sights for the GP100. I know a lot of guys and gals around here use the Williams stuff with great results.

Best of luck and let us know what you come up with.

Here's a link to a pretty good article about the GP100 sights from Williams: Williams FireSights for Ruger's Spiffy GP100

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum - I am not sure which model GP100 you have, but I just bought a GP100 5" barrel version last week. It has an adjustable rear sight that is block outlined in white. Black front sight. I am changing the front sight to a Ruger red painted one.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
SR welcome. You must have a 3" GP100 with fixed sights? The 4" and 6" GP have a black rear blade with white outline, and black front. There are all kinds of sight options for these but you are kinda stuck with the sights you have, if you have a fixed sight model. I guess Ruger feels the 3" gun is a "point and shoot" gun and sights arent usually very prominent on these type guns. If the brightness bothers you, maybe you could flatten out the shine with a ScotchBrite pad. Dont use steel wool on stainless, use ScotchBrites. I doubt you can do much more without some gunsmith machining, and if the gun has sentimental attachment, then do what you can. If it doesnt have a sentimental attachment, then maybe a trade, or sale of the one you have, for a 4" or 6" GP100. One good thing about it, the GP100 is extremely popular and they bring good money, so if you would sell it and put that money toward another GP, you will do well.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I have seen a photo of a 3" GP100 where the owner carefully filled the rear fixed sight radius/notch with orange paint. Could be any color you like. You may have to reapply from time to time but otherwise you are kinda limited. The 3" GP100 Talo "Wiley Clapp" is the exception. It does have a Novak sight package with the front being a lite pipe and the rear having a black notch fixture set in a dovetail. The Wiley Clapp has a frame like the 4" 5" & 6" with a flat top strap. If you like the 3" barrel length you may want to check that model out while there are still many available.

And welcome to the forum by the way!

Wave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
First and foremost, welcome to the forum! It's a great place with lots of information. I don't personally own a GP100, but I do know that the sights are fairly easy to swap with aftermarket offerings. You may want to consider the Williams Fire Sights for the GP100. I know a lot of guys and gals around here use the Williams stuff with great results.

Best of luck and let us know what you come up with.

Here's a link to a pretty good article about the GP100 sights from Williams: Williams FireSights for Ruger's Spiffy GP100
The rear sight is fixed - milled into the top strap, so it can't be replaced. But those Williams sights look interesting! I've bookmarked their site. Thanks!
And thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen a photo of a 3" GP100 where the owner carefully filled the rear fixed sight radius/notch with orange paint. Could be any color you like. You may have to reapply from time to time but otherwise you are kinda limited. The 3" GP100 Talo "Wiley Clapp" is the exception. It does have a Novak sight package with the front being a lite pipe and the rear having a black notch fixture set in a dovetail. The Wiley Clapp has a frame like the 4" 5" & 6" with a flat top strap. If you like the 3" barrel length you may want to check that model out while there are still many available.

And welcome to the forum by the way!

Wave
This one has the 3" barrel, but alas, it isn't the Wiley Clapp model. I was thinking of that one but ran across this on at a gunshow last Saturday, and couldn't wait. :)
Rear with orange (or something non-black) with a black front...now that sounds interesting! Thanks!

And thanks for the welcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts