Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went shooting with this yesterday & may have a new favorite gun. The cheesegrater grips have already been replaced.

However, the high polish front sight is a bit uncertain in southern Arizona sunlight. I'm sure I'm not the only one, so I'm looking for ideas. Would a light sanding with very rough sandpaper help? Or would it help to file small notches in the edge of the sight? Black paint?

I realize it is not a hunting gun. I did do a little shooting without aiming at all. To be honest, it felt so good in my hand shooting full power 357 loads that it is now sitting on my nightstand, replacing my 686+. But I would like the option of seeing the front sight if I wish, rather than a bright reflector...

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Bsms
Congratulations on your new shooter.

Don't sand on your sight!
There is an easy fix. I use a ordinary black felt tip pen to darken & cut the glare on SS sights. It's easy to apply, works, is easy to re-apply when worn, & won't alter your gun perminantly. I've used if for years & it works.
Frank

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, even that my vaquero is blued i had the same problem, the top of the front sight is rounded so it shines.

I suggest you try what Frank said as it is reversible. If it still is not working, here's another option

I took a file and made a very steep ramp, trying to just make it square without taking much material. It worked for me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the Altamont grips (Altamont Company - Ruger):

They fit perfectly and feel like the grips that came with my Ruger Blackhawk. I had tried Hogue grips for my Blackhawk, but they were thin and didn't fit the frame for squat :mad: :

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't know about the New Vaquero, but the original Vaquero had a tall front Peacemaker blade. Ruger intended that the owner be able to zero the revolver to his or her preferred load.

A tall front sight depresses the muzzle, causing a low POI (point of impact). By filing down the front sight a little at a time----at the range----then shooting, elevation may be set for preferred load at desired distance.

To reduce glare, file a slight ramp on the rear face of the blade----at an angle which removes the least metal, while extending to the top of the blade.

A fine serration or checkering file (Brownells, etc.) may then be drawn across the ramp to further reduce glare.

Remember that from a handgun, light bullets print low (L=L), heavy bullets print high (H=H). A heavy bullet has longer barrel time, causing muzzle to rise ever so slightly more before departure.
David Bradshaw

·
Registered
549 Posts
Try the felt tip marker first. If you don't like it or it dosen't help, you can remove it with rubbing alcohol. Better choice is a product called "site black". It comes in a spray can and dries to a fuzzy matt black finish. It can be wiped off with a cloth. Hope this helps......Robin

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
If you use paint use 'flat' black... not gloss. Try the felt marker first. I tried site black the other day and it works really well. It just wipes off, so you have to apply every time you use it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried the magic marker tip today. It was a bit glossier than I wanted, but was much better than before. All the ammo I had available today was 38+P, so I have to wait for my 357 ammo to arrive before trying to fine tune anything. And since I have a 357 Blackhawk for more demanding shooting, I may just learn how much Kentucky windage to apply...Kentucky windage

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts