Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard over the years certain people talk about not wanting a shiny gun for defense. They thought the bright gun would be spotted quickly and hurt their ability to defend themselves.

I like the stainless guns but also have blued ones. I never thought there was going to be alot of time for an issue like this to matter. Am I missing something? The gun is concealed or it is drawn to fire. Not much time to be throwing reflections around to identify yourself. It is not like holding the gun in the sun and trying to cause a glare to shine in the perps eyes. If this shine issue is true then why are lasers and flashlights so popular? Don't they cause attention to themselves?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I like stainless because it's easy to care for. By the time I decide it needs to come out of the holster, nobody's going to have too much time to think about how shiney it is. They'de be better off using the time to think of ways to plug the holes it's going to make.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only time I would be concerned about a weapon being shiney would be on a bright moonlit night if I was sneaking quietly around my property checking out a possible burglar...:eek:

And if I was for some reason having to use a flashlight I certainly would not be holding it right in front of my gut...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I don't think a CCW weapon in SS is any more or less concealable than a blued one. I like plastic because of the weight. I like SS because it's easy to take care of. And I like blue because it looks better on some models. Maybe I should carry one of each. :D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Lots of arguments both ways. From what i have seen though through the years, if the perp sees the weapon, he is liable to head the other way. So if the perp sees the shiny weapon at nite in poor light over a blue one--all the beter if it causes him to retreat without firing a shot.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I carry stainless because it is much easier to care for. When in a good holster there is not much shiny metal visible. When I am dressed to leave the house none of it is visible. Concealed means concealed. This means the only time someone could see it is when it's drawn and them seeing a glint off the stainless won't matter because a fraction of a second later they are going to see a large flash from the end of the muzzle.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm no longer in the military...no longer worried about snipers, thus, I love the SS weapons. If and when I have to pull it for self defense...I want them to see me coming.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I agree. Concealed until needed. I bought a pistol from a CA cop who was
telling me of a study done which only involved LEO's. The rate of having shots fired by either party was substantially lower when the LEO had a SS weapon. Didn't say what the reasoning may have been.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with everyone here: concealed until it's drawn. The only time I've ever wanted a gun that's hard to see is during paintball. I've heard some hunters like blued or low-glare guns so deer won't see them as easily, but in that case they might as well spend time applying camo tape to a stainless gun.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I used to carry my SS SP101. Now I carry my Kahr...poly frame, brushed SS slide. Very easy to clean and less likely to rust from body oils. I also agree with most...if I have to pull my weapon, I hope the BG will not have time to notice the finish...of the gun or the gun fight.....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I agree with the guys who say it's not a warning....any flash of SS will soon be obliterated by muzzle flash...and, in Texas, it's either SS or gun oil by the barrel....we sweat lots down here.........

·
Registered
995 Posts
I thought shiny guns were for pimps!

A shiny gun could stand out more if your shirt or coat opened up, but I still think it would be hard to see, unless you're carrying wrong. Unless you took semichrome to your SS gun, it's not really that shiny, and most of the gun should be covered with the holster too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As a firearms instructor I can say that nowhere that I have read says there is anything negative about carrying any color of firearm for self-defense...unless you are talking about something toy-colored (think pink duracoating) where the perp might actually test the waters and invite you to shoot.

I have both....the only two thing to know is that a stainless firearm CAN "stain less" than one blued, however, both CAN rust. The other is that holster wear is not nearly as noticeable on a SS firearm vs blued.

So, buy what you like....if ya like purty go with a nice SS BBQ gun and wear the heck out of it. If ya like a subdued black then go that route.

I have on occasion open carried my brushed hard chrome firearm and not one person seemed to pay any real attention to me....must be the short hair! ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Heheh, pink guns... it looks like Charter Arms actually has one in production, and my gf informs me she's not interested because she couldn't take it seriously. :D

I just now remembered that Lipsey's sells the SP101 in the same finish as the Super Redhawks. They must have a deal with Ruger.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I agree with Deputy125. A stainless or Nickle gun will look bigger at night & may save having to use it at all. That would be a good thing. Frank

·
Registered
55 Posts
I choose SS because of its ability to withstand moisture, sweat etc

They are a little more resistant to the elements (namely human persperation)

notice i said "resistant" not immune.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bead Blasted Stainless. Corrosion resistant and more subdued. Had a guy ask to borrow my cell phone. I realized that he had caught a glimpse of my 686 from under the shirtails, because I wasn't carrying a cell phone. Had to tell him that the battery was dead. Since then I have changed my carry routine, but it was nice to know that it didn't scream "look at me I have a gun" when it happened.

JJ

·
Banned
282 Posts
For the first half of my police career, when in Uniform Patrol, I carried a blue steel, shiny, S&W model 19. We didn't have much choice in those days. I had it drawn in a number of situations and the fact that it was shiny was never a problem. It's retired now, still mine and still shiny. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I polish mine.....

I polish mine so it shines like chrome. That was after I dehorned and rounded the sharp edges and corners. You only see it when it comes out for use. By then it too late. Easier to clean up after range time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts