Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to ship my mini back to Ruger. They emailed me a shipping label and an issued an RMA number to write on the box (not sure what that is).

They said not to send in the original box, which makes sense. I should use something bigger and use more packing material to keep is safe.

Problem is I don't have a box in those dimensions. I guess I have to buy one? Where? How much? Any ideas?

I was hoping they would send me one actually.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Some cities have businesses that sell cartons. Moving and storage companies sometimes sell cartons.
Also a business like a hardware store might have a long carton that some product (like broom handles) came in.
Or you could buy a 4' x 4' sheet of cardboard to bend and cut into the right size carton.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
A box from 48" flourescent bulbs works good, need a lot of newspaper to pack it tight.
Yep.... Found that out yesterday. Shotgun in it's soft carry case fit perfectly in the box.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Need to ship my mini back to Ruger. They emailed me a shipping label and an issued an RMA number to write on the box (not sure what that is).
RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization.Most manufacturers will have you put this on the box so that they know that they have been contacted about the piece coming in to them.The printed RMA number on the box lets the shipping dept. know they can accept the package.There are people that will just send things in and expect it to be fixed with no prior contact,most times the manufacturer will refuse the shipment and return it back to the sender...

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
A box from 48" flourescent bulbs works good, need a lot of newspaper to pack it tight.
Good for a long gun, and I used one to ship an ebay'd antique trombone........:D

Not a very strong box, be sure of good padding and use good tape on all the seams.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I had to send a rifle once in for repairs. I went to a UPS store and they had one that would fit the rifle for a small fee. I wrapped the rifle in foam wrap and then shipped off to the gunsmith and returned back to me packed in the same way with not one scratch. Of course there are many different lenghts of rifles, but this was a really long box UPS sells.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I bought a cheap hard case, put the rifle in it and then put the hard case back in the same carton it came in. Ruger will undoubtedly return the hard case to you.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I buy large boxes and cut them down. Get a roll of packageing tape and don't be cheap on using it. MRA=Material Return Authorization.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Long rectangular box kinda yells out "rifle". Most aren't exactly strong either. So... Go find your local driveshaft shop and ask for one of the shipping tubes the shaft tubes come in. They're plenty long enough, more than strong enough (pretty darn crushproof) and any sizable shop should have a diameter your rifle will fit into. Pack up your rifle, seal up the ends and ship it off. :)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I bought a cheap hard case, put the rifle in it and then put the hard case back in the same carton it came in. Ruger will undoubtedly return the hard case to you.
Not necessarily. There's a reason they ask to not use the original box. No guarantee it'll be returned. They simply use generic boxes to ship.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had to send my Savage 111 back because the front sight was mounted a couple of degrees off from top center of barrel. Anyway, I used the original box and just wrapped it in heavy brown paper. It was returned the same way!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Or you could buy a 4' x 4' sheet of cardboard to bend and cut into the right size carton.
My 10/22 Carbine arrived back at Ruger just yesterday, & this is how I shipped it. Original box, w/ the cardboard folded around it to make a second, "anonymous" box. Of course everyone at UPS knows exactly what it is because they know where it's going, but whatever. I followed the instructions I was given. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts