Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres some pics of the different op rods . The older op rod with the smooth face and the newer with the step in the face.
The older op rod makes full contact with the buffer on the gas block, while the newer one tends to chop the buffer in half. So far I have put 200 rnds thru my 583 tactical and saw some very slight cracking in the buffer.
On my 582 it would destroy the buffer in 10 rnds.
This my vary with every gun with the step in the op rod face, so its just something to look out for if you have a newer gun, and you want to run buffers on the front.
I do know that when the buffers went out on my 582 the gun would jamb . With everyone telling everybody to run buffers front and rear there could be a problem on some guns.
I going to shave a buffer down to match the profile of the stepped op rod and do some testing. Hopefully I can get over a 1000 rns out of a front buffer.
My rear buffer still looks new. Every Mini is different so this may not pertain to all the newer guns.
This has been a cheap public service announcement :D

Attachments

·
Exalted One
1,784 Posts
Misfire, this is a very important posting! Thank you! I only have an older mini and had no idea of the "stepped" end of the newer ones. Forming the front buffer of the newer minis seems to be critical if one is going to do that.

Perhaps it should be a sticky...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RJF, thanks, when those buffers go the whole gun stops working really quick. My 582 Mini14 that I was having so much trouble with would eat buffers like candy in about 20 rnds max. After the second time I sent the gun back to Ruger , they sent me a new 583 tactical model. When I got the new gun I was a little hesitant to try the buffers , after the gun was broken in good I put the rear buffer in and all was good , then I tried the front and kept an eye on it , so 200 rnds in and the front looks OK . Only a very small crack . The front gets all the heat from the gas block and with only the op rod contacting 1/2 the buffer I'm afraid it will crack in half. I' going to do what sandog did and cut the front buffer to match the contour of the op rod and do some testing. I know Tony's front buffer has been in there for at least 1000 rnds, and thats what I want. I will post a pic of the buff when I get it cut .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts