Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Back in the 70s there were three rifle rounds, 221,222,and 223. I haven't seen a 221 sine the early 80s and have only seen one box of 222 in the last 25 years or so. Back then I don't think I ever saw a box of 556 ammo. Play it safe and only shoot the caliber indicated on the weapon. The exception would be the Colt SP-1. They were stamped for 223 but actually were for the 556 because these were military rifles being sold to civilians, this is according to Colt. I was curious because of all this talk of possible trouble shooting 556 in a 223 rifle.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You are correct in saying you can’t shoot in a ..223 in a .222. Granted the parent case of the .223 is the .222 and they share a lot of the same numbers in regards to case specs, but the .223 is longer overall, specifically from the case head to shoulder, so it’s a no-go.......in other words it won’t chamber.
Actually the closer parent case of the .223 Rem/5.56 NATO is the .222 Rem Magnum.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Actually the closer parent case of the .223 Rem/5.56 NATO is the .222 Rem Magnum.
But it’s not......the parent case of the .222 Rem Mag is also the Triple Duce.

Reactions: Sr40ken

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Actually both the 223/5.56 and the 222 magnum were based on the parent case the 222. Assuming Speer ammo and bullets know what they are talking about and both came years after the 222.

Reactions: Mark204

·
Registered
73 Posts
During a Carbine class we had a guy inadvertently buy .222 Rem ammo for his AR15. He experienced malfunctions through three ARs before we realized this. IIRC, the longest string he might have had was maybe 3 or 4 shots. He never did make it through a single drill. FWIW.

·
Registered
262 Posts
While it might function in a bolt gun, you won't do well in a semi-auto (see Jackals post above. The brass will also be ruined and the odds of popping primers out are high. So essentially, the answer is no, don't do it!
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well can't say I have done it more than once. But yeah you can fire 222 in a .223/5.56. A few years ago when Gander Mountain was closing stores and selling out. I was buying some heavily discounted ammunition. I tipped a handful of 223 boxes into a shopping basket. Somehow I grabbed a box of 222. The red shinny boxes were identical other than some writing on the end. I am post cataract surgery in both eyes. See perfectly at distance but need, really need reading glasses close up. I had a brand new CZ 527 American in .223/5.56. First shot with new rifle and scope I could tell something happened. Fair amount of smoke and round had nearly deprimed itself. I had cleaned bore earlier and ran a clean boresnake through barrel before firing. So I knew there wasn't an obstruction. Put on reading glasses and discovered I just shot the wrong ammunition. Far as I could tell nothing was hurt. Threw the remaining box of cartridges away. The extractor was strong enough to hold the cartridge so the firing pin detonated the primer. Rifle really liked Federal 50 grain tipped varmint ammunition. Sadly they discontinued this particular load but I bought plenty at $6/20 back in the days of Gander closing up.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Actually both the 223/5.56 and the 222 magnum were based on the parent case the 222.
Now there is one cartridge that has the parent case of the .222 Rem Mag, that would be the .204 Ruger...........

Reactions: Sr40ken

·
Registered
24 Posts
if it does fire, you will have "fireformed" the case to .223 but since the 223 is longer,, your new case will have a short neck.. I've never heard of anyone "firefoming" brass in a semi-auto though. (when actually "fireforming" normally one would leave the bullet seated far out, so it would engage the lands and push the case back into the bolt so it can fire.. There is no sense in doing what you are talking about however.. it wouldn't result in a catastrophic event either! mainly it would be a waste of a 222 brass!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Now there is one cartridge that has the parent case of the .222 Rem Mag, that would be the .204 Ruger...........
since the 204 ruger came out in 2004, their is no way it is the parent case,,, Mike walker designed the 222 as a miniature version of the 30-06 and 50bmg.. in reality the 222 was a completely new round with no parent case.

·
Registered
24 Posts
since the 204 ruger came out in 2004, their is no way it is the parent case,,, Mike walker designed the 222 as a miniature version of the 30-06 and 50bmg.. in reality the 222 was a completely new round with no parent case.
don't quote me on that,, i tried to find where i read that and cannot... since the 30 06 has a 16 degree shoulder and 222 has 23 degree shoulder i may be having a "senior moment"! ;>)

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
My bad.....I didn’t word it correctly. I meant the parent case for the .204 is the .222 Rem Mag. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
if it does fire, you will have "fireformed" the case to .223 but since the 223 is longer,, your new case will have a short neck.. I've never heard of anyone "firefoming" brass in a semi-auto though. (when actually "fireforming" normally one would leave the bullet seated far out, so it would engage the lands and push the case back into the bolt so it can fire.. There is no sense in doing what you are talking about however.. it wouldn't result in a catastrophic event either! mainly it would be a waste of a 222 brass!
My bad.....I didn’t word it correctly. I meant the parent case for the .204 is the .222 Rem Mag. Thanks for pointing that out.
I didn't know that either,,, thanks,, & i might be wrong on the 30 06 , 50 bmg comment... but i swear i think i remember it from an interview with mike walker i read.. If Mr. Walker were still alive, we could ask him..Mike shot small group at the super shoot one year when he was very old (with 222).. it is still an excellent easy to load for accuracy round.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Are you sure about the shoulder angle? I’ve got them both at 23*........I don’t know of any .22 caliber that carries a shoulder angle heavier than 35*, (K-Hornet)..........
You're right, I'm sorry. The specs I was looking at showed the total angle of both shoulders and the resolution on the .222 Rem was very fuzzy.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a Mini 14 in 223. I have read a little online about it being okay to shoot a 222 round in a 223 rifle but never vice versa. Reaching out to those of you in the know for an opinion.
Not a good idea, in any case!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Back in the 70s there were three rifle rounds, 221,222,and 223. I haven't seen a 221 sine the early 80s and have only seen one box of 222 in the last 25 years or so. Back then I don't think I ever saw a box of 556 ammo. Play it safe and only shoot the caliber indicated on the weapon. The exception would be the Colt SP-1. They were stamped for 223 but actually were for the 556 because these were military rifles being sold to civilians, this is according to Colt. I was curious because of all this talk of possible trouble shooting 556 in a 223 rifle.
You forgot the 222 Magnum. Originally developed for the military trials, that settled on the slightly shorter 223. 222 mag is 1/10" longer than a 223, and warnings have existed for decades that if a 223 round is fired in a 222 mag chamber the case will rupture. The grossly excessive headspace that would exist with a 222 round in a 223 chamber would certainly have a disastrous results.
I own firearms Chambered in 221 Fireball and in Triple Deuce (222) so i see those rounds quite regularly.😎

·
Premium Member
14,371 Posts
They don't put the caliber on the barrel for nothing and 223 does not equal 222!

Reactions: FireEscape
21 - 40 of 70 Posts