Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

Registered
ikar, .222 Remington Magnum - Wikipedia
Thanks so much for the old age reminder 馃ぃ

Kidding of course. It was not exactly a flash in the pan, but clearly not an everyday find.

-jb, thanks for the memories

Banned
If you're using factory ammo, DON'T DO IT!
If you're reloading your own using pistol powders for plinking loads, for example 2.8gr bullseye with 55gr bullets, go ahead, but you're going to end up with short necks! That wouldn't be a bad thing if you're going to use, say, 33gr bullets. HTH

Registered
If you're using factory ammo, DON'T DO IT!
If you're reloading your own using pistol powders for plinking loads, for example 2.8gr bullseye with 55gr bullets, go ahead, but you're going to end up with short necks! That wouldn't be a bad thing if you're going to use, say, 33gr bullets. HTH
Really? You're advocating shooting 222 in 233?

Banned
Really? You're advocating shooting 222 in 233?
ONLY if its handloaded LOW pressure rounds, NEVER high pressure factory rounds!
I've been doing low pressure rounds in both my Mini and ARs for quite some time now with no problems, they just turn them into straight pull bolt rifles, hardly even bump the bolts. My favorite is 3.8gr Trail Boss with 55gr bullets. Heck, to save my sr primers, I've been using spm primers for those rounds. YMMV

Registered
yeah, disregarding headspace, that will never be an issue. What is your cartridge headspacing on? .170 gap for headspace isn't a good idea.

Reactions: Mark204

Banned
I don't have a 222 rem rifle, but just measured out the diff. between the 222 rem and 223 rem and see your concern. Having said that, I think with a long enough bullet, say the Speer 70 grainer seated up near the lands, with my load of 3.8gr of trail boss it really shouldn't be a problem. Heck, I'd even try it if somebody sent me 5 222 rem cases.
My recommendation would be that if someone were to do that, those cases would ONLY be used for LIGHT loads! Anything more and you'd end up with gas cutting in the neck area of the chamber!
Basically turning it into a 22lr center fire. BTW, the 3.8gr trail boss load with 55gr bullets is sub-sonic! HTH

Banned
To add to what I just wrote, I came up with the 3.8gr trail boss load from the Hodgdon website which lists 4.0gr trail boss with 55gr FMJ bullets in 223 cases. I was getting supersonic crack with the 4.0gr load out of my RCBS Uniflow powder measure, so dropped it down to 3.8gr and no more ss crack!

Registered
I wonder how Ruger feels about shooting a 222 in their 223 chamber. You're not doing the extractor any favors, your not doing the chamber any favors and the case is over stressed. It' simply irresponsible to do it, period. You might try to figure out the pressure dwell in that .170 when it hits the shoulder of the chamber.

Banned
I was just thinking about that, instead of the 3.8gr trail boss, I'd drop it down to maybe 2.5gr Bullseye or 2.5gr Ba10 (which is a bit faster than Bullseye).
BTW, you have noticed the powders I'm mentioning, didn't you?
Those are fast burning PISTOL powders, NOT slow burning RIFLE powders!
I've been using them in my 223s and 30/30s for years! Check out Marlinowners website reloading column Light bullets in 30/30 sticky! The lightest load I've seen, and used, is 2.5gr Bullseye with a 45gr lead ball! Talk about a CAT SNEEZE load, fun one too.:cool:

Registered
We're talking about 222 in a 223 rifle.

Reactions: Mark204

Registered
Yup, NEVER shoot a 222 factory round in a 223/5.56 firearm! You're looking for a FUBAR if you do!
I鈥檓 just wondering why you would want to take triple deuce brass and pretty much render it useless. I think you could probably trade 100 .222鈥檚 for 150 .223鈥檚. They are not easy to come by now.

Banned
Don't go under 1.3gr Ba10/2.0gr Bullseye in 223 or you're risking a bullet stuck in the barrel! Also don't go over 5.5gr Bullseye 'cause its gonna get too loud and might cause other problems. 2.5gr bullseye is a good practice load that's fairly quiet that won't cause any damage, just turns semi-autos into straight pull bolt actions. YMMV HTH

41 - 60 of 70 Posts