Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
linked below is a video I just found. it's Bob Vogel, showing off some of his skills. the test is the 25 shot, 7 string, Ohio PD qualifier. Vogel cuts the time down and moves the distances out (he can do that). interesting to watch his draw, grip, stance and generally how he works. he gives the info for the original test, the distances and time are not to difficult, anybody carrying a pistol should be able to qualify. if you can go as fast and far as Vogel, your over qualified, need a raise. hehehehe. good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py1WSRpcl6E

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
The first string would be invaluable to master.
I suspect if I need to draw and fire it is going to be at very close range with no time to use the sights.
Most ranges will not allow such training.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Impressive.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I've seen first hand how cops shoot. No thanks, I prefer being a good shot. :D

·
Registered
8,193 Posts

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
I really don't want to shoot like anyone else but myself.

to me shooting is more instinct than copying someone else. There are far too many good tactics to copy that might be a bit contradictory, that lead to split second confusion. Practice allows fundamentally sound mechanics, but psychological preparedness and hormonal control take thought and conscious awareness.

If you cant control all the above you might want to reconsider carrying. NO MAS MACHO!

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
maybe NYC cops need to train in Ohio. $600 will get Vogel to run a day long class.

The problem with skills like that is you need to constantly practice to keep them from decaying. Most police departments don't have enough training time to allow more than a brief annual qualifying range. And frankly, the vast majority of police officers will never have to fire their pistols in the line of duty, so speed and accuracy with a pistol has a low priority in the training budget, especially with all of the mandated "diversity" and mental health training.

I go out to the range and practice drawing and shooting at least once a week, but I do that on my own time and at my own expense. That at least partly explains why my qualifying scores are up there with the SWAT team members.

Jim

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"mandated "diversity" and mental health training."
diversity training and mental health training are very good things as there appears to be several different realities and of course, some psychosis on the streets these days.
did LE ever look at tranquilizer pistols like they use at the zoo? medics ought to be able to blend up a good cocktail for general use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts