Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all my pistols, I shoot low and left. On a rest, I shoot straight so I know its me, not the gun. Should I just accept that I pull it all the time and aim right or keep trying to shoot straight? My groups are not bad

·
Registered
251 Posts
Check your grip too, I tend to shoot the same way. You might also be flinching in anticipation, yet another of my own sins.

·
Registered
951 Posts
You're prolly squeezing with all your fingers, very common issue. You need to teach your hand to isolate the movement of your trigger finger.
Easiest way is dry fire with a laser, don't need to spend the bucks for crimson traces but that'll surely work even a cheap laser pointer a chunk of sponge and tape will work.
Practice pulling the trigger so that the laser doesn't dart off target.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Actually the best methods is two

Someone else loading the magazine with snap caps and live rounds so you don't know whether it will fire or not and you will catch yourself flinching and you can practice stopping it.

That is the one everyone knows.

Then there is the one I devised for my sister who just could not stop.

That is to tape a long thin wood dowel to the side of the gun longer the better and dry fire like crazy. Do it until that dowel does not move.

Then when at the range again, and you catch yourself flinching, and you will, drop the mag, eject the round, and dry fire again until you calm down. Bring the dowel and tape. Don't be embarrassed, everyone has flinched at one time or another or they are lying. And people will more than likely ask you about it, like they did with me and my sister, who by the way, has not flinched in a long time. And by the way, I think it was the next time I took her out there, we saw someone else with a dowel on their gun that we saw that day.

Doc

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies, guys. It's tempting to just aim right, like a hooker playing golf (I know about that, too). I'll work on my technique

·
Registered
392 Posts
clearly ya need to buy more guns, probably more expensive ones until you get one that fits your hand and has a 2 pound trigger. I'm kidding. don't tell anybody but some professional, high speed steel shooters don't aim right at the bullseye, they know where to aim or have dialed in the sights to hit the bullseye. anyway, welcome to the Low/Left Club(large, international membership).
relax, have fun. do you shoot both eyes open? got an occasional blink and/or flinch?
do you have some snap caps? load one into a magazine and when you pull the trigger on it, did you dip the barrel?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Gun fit can be a factor too. Do you have long fingers or short? Where the tip of your finger presses can exert side forces that at the break of the trigger can push or pull the gun right or left. Ideally you want the center of the ball of the tip of your finger centered on the trigger face. Check it out and try moving your finger farther or less so thru so that the crook or the very tip of your finger is engaging the trigger and see what the results are, that may show you what the problem is and you may need to find a gun that fits your hand better, not necessarily a more expensive one either. LOL If you really like the one you have you can adjust the sights to allow for your flinch just so long as you remember to compensate for it when you shoot from a rest.
Gabby

·
Registered
71 Posts
My bad habit is letting a little space creep between the backstrap and the web of my hand. When it creeps in I am low and left

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
More so on small grip pistols, I tend to tighten my grip a lot! And this tends to have me pulling left it seems...the moment I relax my grip a bit, I am back on center.

·
Registered
285 Posts
With all my pistols, I shoot low and left. On a rest, I shoot straight so I know its me, not the gun. Should I just accept that I pull it all the time and aim right or keep trying to shoot straight? My groups are not bad
This used to happen to me all the time (and still does, but to a lesser degree). I had two problems first was anticipating recoil so I was dropping the muzzle and squeezing with the trigger and grip rather than just using my index finger. I had my wife video record me while we were at the range and the camera showed what I was doing.

I used a two step approach 1. I worked on just squeezing the trigger with my index finger while trying to keep my other fingers still. Once I corrected that I started working on recoil anticipation. In other words I trained myself to accept the fact that recoil will be there no matter what I do.

Has my two step approach helped. Yes, do I at times still shoot low left yes but no as often.

·
Registered
160 Posts
read that you should use more pressure on the gun with your supporting hand ....some say 60/40.....60% on the support hand and 40% on the trigger hand....I've been practicing using a spent bullet case on the end of the barrel so when I squeeze the trigger the casing does not fall off.....Dry firing its been a lot of help with my RAP in developing my own grip on the gun with maximum control ...bullet will only go where you aim it

·
Super Moderator
4,072 Posts
While all the comments about fingers, fit and squeezing are all valid I'd be willing to bet a large chunk of money that it's nothing more than flinching in anticipation of the shot. Next time you go to the range spend the entire session focusing on not flinching. Every shot. Talk to yourself. Squeeze, don't flinch. Every shot. Squeeze don't flinch. I'd love to give you the magic solution but there really isn't one. You're just gonna have to make it a priority until you don't do it any more.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Here is an excellent video showing proper grip and trigger control. Start at 11 minutes to get right to it. Then jump to 38:00 or so for the trigger control part.
In fact, just watch the whole thing, lol. Great video.

https://youtu.be/jUfmpXGXcM0?t=656

I had the same low left issues when I got into pistol shooting a couple of years ago. This little Laserlyte device helped me a great deal to get the shots on target.
I see the price has gone up substantially since I bought mine, but when I consider how much ammo it kept me from wasting at the range, it seems like a better deal. I still use it every week or two to maintain muscle memory.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NKY23E/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687682&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004GFDTNA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1RMZWBFDXJE32MKZ0XYT

·
Registered
583 Posts
Some of the left shooting for me on my SR's was that the front sight was not quite centered; used a punch to drift slightly. However, the main adjustments for me have been to first ensure a good trigger finger placement & squeeze and second to not look too quickly to see where I'm hitting (and therefore pulling the shot).

·
Registered
103 Posts
To find out if you are flinching have someone else load your gun where you can't see, just behind your back will do they don't have to go to the other end of the range you know. Then you fire it, if it's an empty gun it will be instantly obvious. Works best with a revolver because they can load a couple to get you lulled then the next will be empty, and if you are flinching it will be really apparent. But it will work with a pistol as well, it just takes more fussing about with it.
Good luck,
Gabby

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
To find out if you are flinching have someone else load your gun where you can't see, just behind your back will do they don't have to go to the other end of the range you know. Then you fire it, if it's an empty gun it will be instantly obvious. Works best with a revolver because they can load a couple to get you lulled then the next will be empty, and if you are flinching it will be really apparent. But it will work with a pistol as well, it just takes more fussing about with it.
Good luck,
Gabby
With an autoloader, just mix in a snap cap in a random location in the magazine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts