Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old guy here with lots of handgun experience....the arthritis has really set in and my big bore fun is getting a bit less than fun and wondering about the glove situation for recoil easing...I know there are "shooting gloves" but lots of them are for weather as well...my shooting is all range shooting and the temp is normally in the 70's or so...I also hear of some handgun specific gloves and have heard they are expensive and don't last well...now we come to things like weight lifter's gloves, golf gloves, handball gloves, etc....just looking for any experinece on what you might have used and how it worked...not ready to give up the big boom now and then (usually load light but not always)..any experience much appreciated.
opos
Bob

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I've used fingerless, gel-filled bicycling gloves to good effect, but dedicated shooting gloves that have more padding in the web area of the hand are probably a better bet. That's where you tend to get bitten a lot with the big boomers. Haven't found anything I like, yet, though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife has hand arthritis and says her Rawlings full-grain leather batting goves (about $10 at Wal Mart) help her a lot. They seem pretty durable.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,461 Posts
I use very thin Nike baseball gloves. I can load magazines or revolvers very easily. The only thickness is in the palms and the palms are slightly sticky. I use them when I shoot 200 rounds each through my three 1911s with the agressive checkering on the front and back straps. I also use them when I take the five .44 magnums to the range for the day.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I tried wearing a glove once to shoot a friends' Vaquero .44 Mag w/ a 4" barrel, and it did help. (mainly because it was freezing outside) but it made an uncomfortable gun a little less uncomfortable.

Still noticed a lot of recoil, but not as bad as it would have been without.

I have to wear a glove shooting my PPK and Hi Power (slide bite hurts a lot w. the ppk, and I occasionally get bitten by the hammer of the hi power).

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Old guy here with lots of handgun experience....the arthritis has really set in and my big bore fun is getting a bit less than fun and wondering about the glove situation for recoil easing...I know there are "shooting gloves" but lots of them are for weather as well...my shooting is all range shooting and the temp is normally in the 70's or so...I also hear of some handgun specific gloves and have heard they are expensive and don't last well...now we come to things like weight lifter's gloves, golf gloves, handball gloves, etc....just looking for any experinece on what you might have used and how it worked...not ready to give up the big boom now and then (usually load light but not always)..any experience much appreciated.
opos
Bob
What are you trying to shoot big bore handgun wise, a revolver? I've got arthritis in my strong hand thumb and I can't take the big bore revolvers any more. I do just fine with my .45 1911's, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts