Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve posted about this before but there are some newbies, and this is too much of a hoot to not share. :D It’s that time of year where the garage has a few pesky houseflies, and this is more fun than swatting.

Pull the bullet out of a 22 short load, and dump the powder. Fill it about 3/4 full of salt and seal by pressing in warm wax from a previously-lit (away from the powder) candle. Out of my Bearcat the primer alone fires a shotgun blast of salt about 2” in diameter at three feet.

Yes I clean my ‘cat well after firing. I know salt isn’t the best for steel, but life is short and the joy it brings me and the kids is worth the cost of the gun. Especially when it blows the flies to bits!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I prefer 44 special cases with the flash hole enlarged, loaded with mag primers topped with foam earplugs.
The reason I went with special cases was because I neither buy nor ever shoot it so there is no question of making a mistake.
And with the soft pink plugs rolled up and stuffed about 3/4 the way into the case they seal well and are easily identified.
Accuracy from my Redhawk was surprising within 10-15 ft.
The only downside is after the 2nd or 3rd use the foam plugs start leaving a black smudge on the white walls.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Any options for .38 Spec.?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Sounds like another use for the Wrangler ... also can the salt that I keep with my tequila work as good?

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
717 Posts
Try lizard litter. It works great for tumbling media, and would probably work well for fly-shot, too.

Aqualung

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like another use for the Wrangler ... also can the salt that I keep with my tequila work as good?
If you would actually whip out a revolver and fire the salt into your tequila before drinking it, that may indeed be the ultimate act of manliness. Do it at your neighborhood bar and you will be an instant legend.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,820 Posts
I keep glancing at the jug of corn cob media next to my bench and thinking it would be a good load material. Dry, organic, non-corrosive....

The discussion of the thread may require a move over to the reloading forum?

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whatever you want, but it’s more fun goofing around with a rimfire case than “reloading”.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve posted about this before but there are some newbies, and this is too much of a hoot to not share. :D It’s that time of year where the garage has a few pesky houseflies, and this is more fun than swatting.

Pull the bullet out of a 22 short load, and dump the powder. Fill it about 3/4 full of salt and seal by pressing in warm wax from a previously-lit (away from the powder) candle. Out of my Bearcat the primer alone fires a shotgun blast of salt about 2” in diameter at three feet.

Yes I clean my ‘cat well after firing. I know salt isn’t the best for steel, but life is short and the joy it brings me and the kids is worth the cost of the gun. Especially when it blows the flies to bits! View attachment 144555 View attachment 144556

1 - 20 of 26 Posts