Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(This is my first post here). I just got an LCP last week. I was going to wait for the bugs to get all worked out, but got caught up in the moment at a local gun show (two different dealers each had one for sale, BTW, one was at $280cash/$300 trade and the other guy was $319 cash). I was in the mood to trade my American Derringer Model-1 .45LC/.410 for something just as small but a bit more practical. I have a Kel-tec P32 which I just love to shoot, so I'm basically familiar with this style, but have not shot much in the .380 caliber before other than a Browning BDA.

Anyway, to get to the topic of my post, I ended up with a very raw trigger finger spot just ahead of my first knuckle at about 5 o'clock as I would hold out my hand in a shooting position. When you say that the .380 is a snappy round, you aren't kidding! I'm assuming that the recoil or something is causing the trigger guard to scrape my finger. It's rubbed raw like a burn. With such a small gun, it's difficult to reposition my hand elsewhere. I have fairly small hands and fingers. This does not happen at all with my .32.

Any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else? I would hate to get an aversion to shooting this cool little gun (and no, I will not sell it to you).

BTW, I shot about 200 rounds--WW white box, Blazer, Silver Bear, Winchester STX, and Federal PD. All shot fairly well (no FTE or FTF) with the Federal PD actually being the most accurate--they will be my carry round. Most shooting was from about 8 paces, but I shot a few from about 30 yards with surprising accuracy when I did my part.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Shooting a pocket gun is a little tough to get used to. Focus on your grip and tighten your grip up some and the gun will then not bounce around so much in your hand. Also in the mean time you can put a bandaid over that spot prior to shooting and it will pad the area and help with the pain.

Congrats on the gun. I love my LCP. It doesn't bite my finger but my NAA's used to occasionally.

·
Registered
754 Posts
That happened to Me with My Kel-Tek P-11. :(
The whole frame, including the trigger, & trigger guard had ridgelines where it was molded. I'm not familiar with the LCP, but on My P-11, I took the Dremel Tool & smoothed all the rough surfaces out, on the whole pistol, & re-finished it. Problem solved !! It even looked better !
:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked for ridge lines and the LCP basically does not have any. I compared it to my P32 and the Kel-tec has very minor ridge line. The finish on the Ruger is definitely superior. I will have to focus more on a firm grip--I am thinking the gun may be bouncing around in my hand as mentioned above. It seems unnatural to grip such a small, light gun so firmly. It will be quite awhile before I get back to the range to test this theory, though. Thanks for your help.

·
Squirrel Sniper 1st class
254 Posts
it is easier to grip and control a larger gun compared to a smaller one, your instance you have a snappy recoil in a smaller package....

which in turn relates to needing a tighter grip..... or a larger frame, to compensate for it.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,411 Posts
Scotticus, Don't you think 200 rounds in one session is a bit much? The LCP is not a range gun ... it's a CCW. You do need to fire it and get proficient with it's function. That shouldn't take more than a couple magazines per session. If you want a range gun that will hold up and won't beat you up, try the new Ruger SR9.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do consider 200 rounds a lot to shoot with this type of gun. The range I shoot at is 1/2 hour away and between gas prices and my free time, I wanted to maximize the value of the trip. I also wanted to get a couple of hundred rounds through it to check reliability prior to carry.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Fired one today-5 rounds. Long trigger pull, but not bad. Didn't notice any finger abrasion. The pistol did pretty well, two-hand unsupported. 3 X's, 2 9's at 7 yards. Looks like it would be a good CCW pistol.

The new owner didn't fare quite as well. He was rotating his hand left and up when he pulled the trigger and was lucky to hit paper. Small, light pistols can be difficult to shoot. Maybe I was just lucky, but it seemed to shoot pretty well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've got one ordered, and when it comes in I'll keep a lookout for the finger abrasions. Thanks for the tip, but I also don't think that I'll be shooting 200 rounds at one time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to the range again today. Only 50 rounds and held on tightly, as suggested. No finger scrapes! BTW, I painted the front sight white (with auto body touch-up paint) and that seemed to give me a much better sight picture than the small black on black factory sights.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Scotticus, I'm not surprised to hear that at all.
Small thing, light weight snap - *ouch*

My fingers are rather curvy and I have that problem on a full-size glock with it's too short (top to bottom) triggerguard! Good thing I don't like to shoot glocks, eh? :)

For such a practical little weapon it seems like a small problem that you've fixed with grip. Those tiny things are an exercise in compromise.

-Daizee

·
Registered
253 Posts
The LCP is a life and death tool. I wouldn't worry about a sore finger after 200 rounds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts