Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to a shale pit on a logging road on private land less than 10 minutes from my house where I can shoot. A friend has been in town for the past week helping his mother with yard work and bush trimming so I took him and another friend out to my spot for plinking 3 times since last tuesday. He had a glock 22 ,LC9 and S&W 22a with him. I took my shield 9 and Springfield Armory 1911 on 1 trip, my S&W model 638 and pre model 10 along with my Browning Buckmark the second time, and today my S&W model64 and my SR9c. The other friend brought his 3inch GP100, SR9c and Rock Island 1911 a couple trips and also a S&W model 360J, 38 special that he just bought on Thursday. I went through over 350 center fire rounds and another couple hundred rounds of 22. The other 2 guys went through a similar amount of ammo. We definitely did our part supporting the shooting industry this week with over 1000 rounds of ammo shot and a gun purchase between the 3 of us this week.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
It's a blast!

The big thing is are you having fun? Sounds like you are, I would rather spend bucks on ammo and have fun outdoors at the range rather than sit in a movie theater.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,545 Posts
That's what friends are for ;)

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
That was definitely a good week! Sounds like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started reloading for all my handgun calibers over the past 18 months so between that and no range fees it didn't set me back a fortune either. 150 rounds of 9mm, another 150 of 38 special and 50 rounds of 45 acp cost me about $50 to reload.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Did something like with a bud who was a K-9/SWAT officer down near Indianapolis one time. We went to a junk yard and shot the heck out of his duty gun (Sig 229 9mm), a few revolvers and a few other semi-autos...watching the 9mm ricochet off windshields and .357's and n.45's just plow right through everything!

A lady next door to the junk yard called 9-1-1 due to all the shooting (we shot more'n 1,000 rounds that day) and a fellow officer from his department showed up to 'question' the shooters. When he found out it was Ty and I, we invited him to climb up in the bed of the truck we were in and join us, which he did! Needless to say, that didn't make the lady next door very happy! Ha ha

It was a lotta fun though!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its nice having a private spot to shoot. We do a lot of things a range wouldn't allow. Today I shot my buddy's new J frame while it was in the pocket of my old jacket while I was laying on my back on the ground. We can draw from concealment and shoot, shoot on the move and all sorts of things. Sometimes we bring a folding chair to simulate drawing and shooting in a car

·
Registered
104 Posts
We go out to the Desert (Nat'l Forrest) to shoot. We have a Natural Depression, with 4 Fire lanes: 25,50,100,&200 Yards, and between all of us, Approx. a half Dozen Steel, and a dozen plus additional Targets. The Steel are 2 Torsos, one with a Heart cut out and 3/4ths and the other 2/3rds, one Circle 4 Tree, and 8.10&12 inch gongs...plus 3 Wood stands(1 inch plywood backs that get "Patched"), and a bunch of orange and A few green reactives...
Usually when the Forrest service or one of the wonderful Deputies from our County come by they usually join us for about 30 Minutes or so.....

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's a blast!

The big thing is are you having fun? Sounds like you are, I would rather spend bucks on ammo and have fun outdoors at the range rather than sit in a movie theater.
I hear ya. Thats been my mindset recently when I start complaining to myself about spending money on ammo.

Glad to hear the OP was slinging lead with friends. Mine don't really shoot. One carries, but doesn't go shooting a hole lot.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I sure wish I could get access to an old strip job around here. The range I use isn't too bad I guess but I'm sure if I got too wild (say Tannerite) somebody would complain.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I am in an area where we can shoot anywhere that is not endangering property. We do not have a public range in our county. Lots of people complain to the board of commissioners. But until we see a lot more growth or a public range we can shoot on our own property.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Its nice having a private spot to shoot. We do a lot of things a range wouldn't allow. Today I shot my buddy's new J frame while it was in the pocket of my old jacket while I was laying on my back on the ground. We can draw from concealment and shoot, shoot on the move and all sorts of things. Sometimes we bring a folding chair to simulate drawing and shooting in a car
That's cool Jonsey. I have a 50 yard range at home.
Just don't make any you tube video's of shootin yourself in the leg with a 1911. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts