Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about going into black powder shooting, have a couple of friends who shoot cap and ball. I was looking at Dixie Gun Works sale catalog and they had some really nice revolvers (in my price range). The one that looked like it would be a good beginner was the Navy Colt. Knowing just about nothing about the sport, I thought maybe y'all could steer me in a good direction.
Thank you for any help you might give me.:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you are looking into .36 cal revolvers consider the Colt Navy (1851 and 1861), the Remington 1858 in .36 cal (Uberti is more traditional, whereas Pietta built theirs from the .44 cal version), and Pietta makes a Spiller & Burr, but it only seems to be available in a brass frame.

It is preferable to have a steel frame over a brass as the brass will stretch with repeated heavier loads.

A .44 cal revolver, with Triple 7 powder, can give the option of hunting medium game too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had bad luck with Uberti 1858's. If I were to go buy an italian percussion revolver, I'd try a Pietta. I owned a pair of Pietta made 1873 single action revolvers that I purchased from EMF. They were really well made.
Presently I have Ruger Old Armys, which IMHO are the cadillacs of percussion revolvers.
If you're not looking for something authentic looking there are plenty of adjustable sighted ROAs to be found.
The fixed sighted ones are getting harder to find all the time.
1860 Colts are classy; but the 1858 Remington will offer a little more strength due to the top strap on the frame. If you have ever watched the movie "Pale Rider" with Clint Eastwood, it shows how easily cylinders could be swapped out for faster reloading.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I, too, have an Old Army, and really like it!
But I'm looking at getting a .44 cal short barreled 1858. Why did you not like yours?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have a Pietta 1860 Army I've had for years & a Uberti Dragoon I bought 4or 5 years ago both are good. I like the grip of the 1860 Army better than the 1851 Navy. The Dragoon is big& heavy.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I've had a black powder, Italian-made, 1861 Navy Colt since 1967. I also had a .45 cal Thompson Center rifle and shot black powder for years. It is a blast (sorry!) to shoot. I still have the revolver, but haven't shot it for years and still have all the accoutrements. I've been thinking of getting powder and caps and start shooting again. I may even still have a few 000 buckshot (.36in). At one time I cast my own and still have molds and a few pounds of pig lead left, but its easier to just buy the buckshot. Since you have friends who shoot bp, then you have a ready made group that already enjoys the sulfur aroma and cloud of smoke.

Cleaning is easy with hot soapy water and rinse, making sure it's dry. Air compressor or Canned Air used in cleaning a computer.

They are fun, especially the first time you fire the little jewels at night. ;0

·
Registered
125 Posts
THIS THREAD NEEDS PICS!!!! My 1858 Remington Stainless in need of a polish job.:eek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought a pair of 5 1/2" barreled Uberti 1858 Remmies from Taylors.
They were these: Uberti® 1858 New Army .44(5-1/2") Case Hardened Finish with Steel Backstrap, Brass Trigger Guard, Model 105CS
They looked really nice; but the timing was off and they were rough on the inside and heavy in the action. For $389 apiece I was expecting a little better. One was worse than the other and I sent it back to Taylors for repair. It came back worse than it left.
Accuracy-wise... they were ok. I knew I was never going to be happy with them so I ended up selling them for less than half of what I paid. I have had Uberti 1873's in the past too and was not thrilled with them either.
I do have a pair of Uberti Russian revolvers, an Uberti 1873 rifle and did have an Uberti 1860 Henry. All of those guns are/were top notch out of the box.
From my understanding the manufacturing tolerances on the Piettas are very good. It is why they sell extra cylinders for them. My understanding is they drop right in or require very little to go in.
The EMF Pony Express revolvers that I owned were really nice. I picked up a pair to try mounted shooting with. I loved the guns and the sport; but my horse hated it, so I gave it up to save his sanity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.36 1862 Pieta Police

I ordered today the .36 1862 (Army) Police from Cabela's along with the extra cylinder. Still will need the extra's, they want $79 dollars for the starter kit, after I got the gun and cylinder with tax for just $313 on sale.

Figure I might be able to get the necessaries for less say at Brownell's or Midway? I understand that for powder 777 is probably the best bet, but I also have seen mention of Pyrodex Crystal's? ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
The powder and caps you will want to get locally so as not to have to pay the hazmat fees.

I'm not sure what you meant by powder crystals, but don't bother with the pellets.

Many state that Triple 7 powder needs to be reduced by 15% as it's more powerful for safety, but I cannot seem to see where it states that on Hogdgon's site, and they have not replied to my request for information.

You'll want 3F granulation or P if you get Pyrodex.

Congratulations on such a good deal by the way! I want a Pocket Police too!

Did you get a 5 1/2" or 6 1/2" barrel?

I understand that it can be quite a pain jamming up with spent caps. There's a few things that people do to theirs, but I'm not sure what is necessary and what works best.

Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just noticed that you bought Pietta's version. I want the Uberti version as it's more traditional and a true "pocket" model as it only has 5 shots. It's built off of their .31 cal pocket model frame with a stepped frame, much the way Colt made the 1860 Army.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Triple 7 is about the most expensive powder by the way. It's also the cleanest powder from what I understand.

You may also want to look at Dixie Gun Works and the Possibles Shop. for good prices.

Disregard the comment about your gun jamming with spent cap fragments, it's the Uberti models that do that as they have very tight fits and no channel in the recoil shield.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the 5 1/2" barrel I looked at Triple 7 tried to find Goex, and of course the Pyrodex. I have a couple friends who say they only use true BP, but one shoots a flintlock and the other a cap and ball rifle. I found a store that sells Triple 7 and Pyrodex P, they also carry the #10 and #11 caps will have to go and check them out, they are only 40 miles from where I live. In Texas that is just a hop, skip and jump so no big deal.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've had this old CVA copy of an 1847 Colt Walker for about 25 years. It's always been a good shooter, but it's a huge horse pistol to handle off hand. I know CVA is still around, but they only produce modern percussion hunting rifles now. They don't do the cool "old west" stuff anymore. I still like this old monster!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had been eyeballing those and Dragoons until I came across my Old Army.
Since the ROA is quite similar to a Dragoon in powder charge (45 grns of Pyrodex) I think I'll eventually need one of those big heavy monsters! First I need a few other percussion thunder boomers (1858 .44 shorty, 1862 Pocket Police, and a .50 cal rifle to put a brass PC type scope on).
Did you open up the rear sight?
Did you modify the retaining latch for the loading lever?
What have you found to be your accurate load?
Shoot just RB or conicals/bullets?

·
Registered
947 Posts
I had been eyeballing those and Dragoons until I came across my Old Army.
Since the ROA is quite similar to a Dragoon in powder charge (45 grns of Pyrodex) I think I'll eventually need one of those big heavy monsters! First I need a few other percussion thunder boomers (1858 .44 shorty, 1862 Pocket Police, and a .50 cal rifle to put a brass PC type scope on).
Did you open up the rear sight?
Did you modify the retaining latch for the loading lever?
What have you found to be your accurate load?
Shoot just RB or conicals/bullets?
I've only ever shot Goex 3f black powder with round balls. I've never tried conicals (I should some time). This Walker takes a .454" round ball over 22grains Goex 3f for target, and a max load of 30grains 3f for hunting loads. It is a tricky gun to shoot because the rear sight V-notch is cut into the top of the hammer. When you draw the hammer back to full cock, the rear sight notch is visible. Rudimentary at best. Off the bench rest I could usually get all 5 shots on a standard 8" target at 25 yards. Given more time trying out different powder loads and conicals, I probably could have tightened it up more. it's a blast to shoot this monster with the smoke and flame of the Goex! Also, the stock retaining latch for the loading lever works fine.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I started shooting black powder in 1974. The only way I could shoot a handgun as my dad hated and still hates guns so I had to buy a black powder handgun. it was great fun and not very expensive. Then it was only black powder and crisco over the front of the cylinder to prevent chain fire and cleaning was a mess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts