Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious. I started shooting with my son a couple of months ago and we are having a lot of fun together. We try to go shooting twice a week at our local range. How often do you get the old shooters out and blast away? Do you shoot indoors or outside? How long have you been shooting? Lets see what the people say ok!

·
Registered
557 Posts
quote:Originally posted by new shooter

I'm just curious. I started shooting with my son a couple of months ago and we are having a lot of fun together. We try to go shooting twice a week at our local range. 1) How often do you get the old shooters out and blast away? 2) Do you shoot indoors or outside? 3) How long have you been shooting? Lets see what the people say ok!
Gald to hear you're getting started in a great sport.
1) 2-3 times a week
2) outdoors
3) over 35 years :D

·
jlweems
278 Posts
I shoot whenever time and money allow. I shoot mainly outdoors at a club, but there is an indoor range a few minutes from my house that I use sometimes, and sometimes my brother and I will meet at the folk's place and shoot.

I mainly shoot pistols, but I do enjoy putting a good scare into clay pigeons and punching holes with a rifle from time to time.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I shoot once or twice a week indoors at my club which is only about six miles away. I started late in life due to work and raising four kids but have been at it about 32 years. Great that you can enjoy the sport with your son!

·
Registered
63 Posts
every first weekend of the month for bowling pin shoot.
but most outdoors @ the wifes parents places plenty of room @ both.
started to reload to save some money.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been shooting since 1946. My Grandpa liked squirrels and rabbits and thats what I first hunted. I shot on a rifle team in college, and met a bunch of people that really got me interested in firearms. Then it was on to center fires and reloading. First was a Winchester 70, 220 Swift. The first powders I bought were purchased at the hardware store and were bulk and came in a brown paper bag. Fancy huh?

Then I hit a loooooooong dry spell. It was called raising kids. All I had at that time was the Swift and 2 22rf's. Also a Winchester Model 12 that was my Grandpa's. After I retired from the Air Force I hooked up with a Gunsmith and started building my own rifles on Mauser actions. I now have almost every caliber from 17>458 covered. The only one missing is the quarter bore. Still haven't figured out why.

I have 17rem, 22hornet, 223rem, 223rem a/i, 22-250, 22-250 a/i, 243 a/i, 6,5x55, 6,5x68 a/i, 7mm mauser, 30:06, 35whelen and mister miserable 458 win mag.

I shoot at least 3 times per week at temps from +100>-30°. The only thing that really stops me from shooting is the wind. If it gets above 30mph I quit.

My favorite rounds? 45lc in a B/H, 6,5 in rifles, and 45acp in protection pistols. I was unfaithful to my wife when I was in 'nam. Every night I slept with a 1911.

I've taken deer every year with the 45, I love handgun hunting. I'm no Jerry Miculek, but I ain't bad either.

Firearms preferences. I prefer revolvers, I do not own any pump or auto rifles, I'm strictly a bolt man, shotguns, I like sxs's, o/u's, but I do have a couple of pumps. No autos.

Sorry to be verbose but it's hard to put over 60 years of history in a sentence or two.

By the way I still have the Model 12. It's had some parts over the years. But grandpa paid the outrageous price of $39.95 at monkey Wards for it. And it still shoots just fine thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
OK on that winchester model. I never had one but always wanted one after using my bosses for duck hunting. Later on I got an 870 for bird hunting and I did real good with that. Some of us old guys go back a long way with shooting. I remember coming home from shooting with my dad and two brothers on dec. 7th 1941. When we got home we heard about Pearl Harbor on the radio.

·
Registered
58 Posts
quote:Originally posted by white dog

OK on that winchester model. I never had one but always wanted one after using my bosses for duck hunting. Later on I got an 870 for bird hunting and I did real good with that. Some of us old guys go back a long way with shooting. I remember coming home from shooting with my dad and two brothers on dec. 7th 1941. When we got home we heard about Pearl Harbor on the radio.
The Winchester Model 12 was a poor mans shotgun. It was the 870 of it's day. Now if you are lucky you can find one from funky to excellent trap grades ranging in price from $200 to $1000's. Even by todays standards it's a great gun. Monkey Wards, Sears and spiegels all sold them happily delivered to your front door. Remember those days?

That 870 is a very versatile shotgun. I have one and a turkey, rifled slug and the regular barrel for it. They are a good shotgun also. I like mine. You can cover a lot of bases with it.

I'll be 70 in January. If I know'd I was gonna get this old i'd a took better care of myself............Naw!

If I died tomorrow they have to wipe the smile off my face.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You keep going out 3 times a week and you'll live a lot longer. I guess I'll have to say the .45 colt is probably my favorite but love to shoot my handguns and levers. Must say you are the shootingest fellow I've ever met and thats a compliment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was curious to know if people got into shooting and then quit after a year or so (like golf or some other sports), and I suppose some do, but it's good to know that shooting can be a life long activity. It's great to hear some of your stories and share in some of your memories. I guess thats part of what these forums are all about. Good information, good help, good stories and good people. Thanks to all for sharing.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I shoot indoors on monday nights & usually find time to shoot at least one day outdoors over the weekend. We have a private range at the GF's house that her son & I use, & I belong to a gun club that has a outdoor range also.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I have a Ranch where I shoot. I do both planned shooting and impulse shooting. The impulse is when I need to eleminate a varment and the planned shooting is with my Family. I have been shooting since 1950 and my schedule has always been when I get a chance. I think with most, once a shooter, always a shooter. :D

·
Registered
880 Posts
About 50 years...scary thought! These days, mostly outdoors, tho' I'll sometimes go to an indoor range with friends. And, I'd guess the average would break down to about once a week...

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I shoot at my local Rod and Gun Club. It's about 1/2 mile from the house and $20 bucks a year... It is outdoor range with stations at 25 and 85 yards. Weather and time permitting, I shoot Saturdays and Sundays, and pre-hunt fouling shots. I have a key to the gate, so it's open anytime. Out of respect, I don't shoot before 9 AM or after dark... it's very nice to have such a place so close to the house.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I grew up on the farm and got interested in shooting and hunting when I was just a sprout. Got my first real gun in about 1953 and shot a lot until about 1985, mostly revolvers, center fire rifles and .22's. I used to shoot the NRA Short Course Bullseye with a .45 and .22, and did some combat shooting with the .357 Mag. Life, money and other things got in the way until 2006. I've started all over again. I still have some of my Ruger revolvers, but have taken on an obsession with Ruger P-series. I shoot every Wednesday night at an indoor range that is about 20 miles from my house. I don't have anywhere to shoot long guns right now. The closest rifle range is about 35 miles from me and the membership is limited and a little expensive. If I had a close outdoor range, I would probably shoot a couple of days a week.

Also after a 20 year hiatus, I've started reloading again. I have the dies for .243 Win, .32 S&W/.32 H&R Mag, .38 Spec/.357 Mag, .44 Spec/.44 Mag, .41 Mag, .45 Colt, 40 S&W, .45 ACP and I'm supposed to be getting 9x19mm for Christmas. Also have a set of .22 Hornet dies around here somewhere, but haven't found them yet.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well lets see....
Started when I was around eight or so, hunting with my father for squirrels and rabbits during the fifties.
Bit by the gun bug even before then!
Shot competition (3 position) in both high school and college.
Very happily entered the military and shot everything I could get my grubby mits on..CONSTANTLY!:D
Continued to hunt and shoot up until a few years ago when lungs went south from chemical esposure.
Even so I still am an active shooter, and with current medical treatment and meds, looks like Ill be chaseing hogs with my .45 Bisley this winter. As long as the weather permits. ;)
I shoot whenever the moods strikes since I live in the country with my own private rifle and pistol range in the back yard.

And yes Ive shot from the back porch!

Over time Ive settled on several different gun systems that suit my fancy. Both single action and double action Rugers in .22, .357, and .45 Colt.
For general social occasions its mainly the Colt .45 acp Commander or Officers ACP models both in stainless.

Springfield M1A NM, Mossy 500, an M-4 clone, and for grins a Mosn Nagant bolt gun.

There are others in the gun safe and wall racks throughout the farm house. No kids here so thats not an issue.

I just LOVE livin the the good ole USA in the good ole COUNTRY.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is a great forum, some great stories and history. I've been hunting sense probably 10 years old up to 18. Had an accident and took many years off. Did some hunting in my mid 20's to late 30's when my world got rocked and had to give it up. I'm now 41 and hitting the outdoor range up in the mountains near our house managed by the "Wildlife Department" once a week. Filled out an application, (waiting for approval) at a sportsman's club near by and hope to get the shooting thing down 2-3 times per week. It's something that gets in you're blood early and never leaves. I have a 14 year old daughter who had the opportunity to shoot a 22 at summer camp, she got hooked, and she's good! Want to give her the opportunity to shoot a couple times a week, she really loves it, so do I. Get out when you can and, ENJOY!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts