Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or does anybody else have a problem when you don't practice for a while. When I first got my P97 I shot low and to the left. After I learned how to hold it, I could hit ok. I hadn't shot it for a while, and the other day, my Grandson and I was at the ranch and I shot it. At first I shot low and to the left, but after I remembered how to hold it, I could hit. I guess that is all the more reason to practice often.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yup, that's why I shoot 2-3 times a week.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,415 Posts
I do the same exact thing. I even catch myself anticipating recoil when I switch from a 22 to a center fire. When I used to shoot almost daily, this seldom happened.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
When I went out the other day I had similar problems which I overcame after shooting a bit. Reminds me of years ago when I got my super B.H. I was shooting waaay low. Caught myself pushing forward and down in anticipation of the recoil. Practice helped me overcome that.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
After not firing .45 for over a year, Christmas Day was work not play-could keep hits at 20 yards in a dinner plate, but not like it used to be-we benefit from repetition more at our age-that's why we drink so much coffee-keep forgetting how good it tastes...doesn't take too long to get back to the top performance, though, when we know the way...

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I sure know what you mean. I took 20 years off and I couldn't shoot worth a hoot when I started again. The nice thing is, if you've done a lot over the years, it comes back pretty quick. It's not as bad as trying to learn "front sight, front sight, front sight" and trigger squeeze for the first time. My biggest problem now is that I need glasses to see the front sight, but that blurs my vision so bad beyond 10 yards that it makes it hard to get good hits beyond that.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
After not shooting revolver since '79, in '96 I went to the range with a scty firm---dao 5" .38 I dropped one point----.45 in a 1911 after same time-in 96, I shot one-handed head shots on a steel falling target that the gang was trying to make body shots on with two hands.....now-since last year-I have to use the front sight only as I can't see both---my scores have radically dropped-revolver or .45----it's hard work now----think I'll get express big dot sights soon-need all the help I can get---the skills aren't forgotten but the eyes go at some point---I'll bet with lasix or whatever it is we'd be just as good as we were-some things you don't forget but I can't remember what the other ones are right now.....

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Know what you mean Sheepdog, been thinking about getting scopes for the long guns and some kind of dot sight for one of my hand guns.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
XS Sight Systems of Fort Worth has lots of guns covered-I have a year-old flyer-gotta get a new one...gunblasts covered them at www.gunblast.com/xs_bigdot-htm----I just yahooed them and got their websight too-I don't do links like you guys can---sorry.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Now how did that happen????I guess the compooter automatically did the address in red---why did it pick up the "I" also and why it underlined the whole thing, I don't know-I just put one bit of underline between the xs and big dot like the article had it.....anyways, you can yahoo it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Had the problem you're referring to there, Sheepdog. Had gold bead front sight installed on two Smith revolvers and a Browning HP...I could SEE them! Was beginning to look into express sights when wife and I had lasik done ( a bit over 5 years ago...) and that helped a lot BUT in order to really pick up both front and rear, for me at least, it's necessary to extend the weapon out 'bout as far as I can.

Still gonna look into them express sights. Also like those "hi-viz" things..."old eyes" are still "old eyes",doggone it!!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I experience the same thing rman does. I went to the big discount store & bought the +1.0 reading glasses. Now I can see the front sight very well & targets out to 50yds well enough. I don't usually shoot pistols much further than that anyway. I usually need a warm up session before a match to kinda' get in the groove. Maby we shoud work up a Old Guy's Shoot some where & discuss this problem & make fun of each other & stuff.:D

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kansas45

I experience the same thing rman does. I went to the big discount store & bought the +1.0 reading glasses. Now I can see the front sight very well & targets out to 50yds well enough. I don't usually shoot pistols much further than that anyway. I usually need a warm up session before a match to kinda' get in the groove. Maby we shoud work up a Old Guy's Shoot some where & discuss this problem & make fun of each other & stuff.:D
I might try that, but to actually read I buy +2.5 reading glasses. Last night they started a league shoot at the range. The target was a 2' x 2' white target with 5 rows across and 5 rows up and down of different playing cards. We were supposed to shoot 25 rounds at each target at 15 yards for score. With my reading glasses on so I could focus on the front sight, all I could see was a white piece of paper. With my glasses off, I could barely see the outline of the cards, but couldn't see the front sight good enough to group. Man I hate getting old!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Rman, I need my presc. glasses to read but I bought a pair of real strong reading glasses for my fine work. They make me dizzy if I try to look around with them. I'm going to try those weaker ones to see if they work for shooting.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Let me know if it works for you. I hate to buy another pair of the things. I keep losing them, buying more and then finding the lost ones. Probably have 5 pairs scattered around the house.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Will do but it might be a while with this rain and wind we've been having. I have some outside chores to do but it'll wait until weather gets nicer.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
OK. Do you old guys have this problem? When I'm outdoors shooting I can see pretty good without glasses. It's inside that gives me the most trouble. What's up with that[?]

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Sure do. I can stand out in the sun and read the newspaper without reading glasses. Inside it is all a gray blur. (And who are you calling old guys?:D)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thats true, the older you get the more light you need to see, its much brighter outside than inside a dim house. I've noticed that quite a bit in the last few years. The light doesn't keep one end of the sights from turning blurry though

1 - 20 of 46 Posts