Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just about to buy a Henry .22lr lever action but, the painted receiver looked very cheep .. big turn off.
Suggestions for other brands?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I do not know if they still make it but I have a Winchester 250. It is extremely accurate. The lever only swings about 75 degrees or so.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I love my Marlin 39A. Very accurate and good looking too.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Have several Henry's don't see anything cheap or wrong about them. The Marlin 39A is nice, but you can buy a Golden Boy and pocket a $100 difference. I also have a older Winchester 9422 XTR I bought from Wife's cousin. It's all in what you want.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I second taking a second look at Henry. I've got a Henry .17 HMR lever gun, & it's has one of the smoothest actions I've ever encountered. Nothing cheap or half-assed about any of it, & the price was exceptional. Finally, if you ever need anything their customer service is second to none.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a Henry H001, had it for seven or eight years. It is a good shooter and the lever action is the best I have found. I sold my Marlin 39a because it was
big and it had problems feeding. The gunsmith made it better but I never had anyone work on the Henry, didn't need to. They have the best warranty service in the industry. The painted receiver cover is just that, a cover. I took mine off and polished it, hope to do some engraving on it someday. Others have duracoated the cover for a tougher finish. I used the money from the sale of my 1951 39a to partially fund a #1V!
FM

·
Registered
403 Posts
My Ruger 96/22 is a pretty sweet Lever .22Lr, if you can find one you will have one of the best .22 lever guns ever made!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Henry .22 with octagon barrel is as high a quality as any other rifle and it's made in America. Great workmanship, accuracy and styling. it's just as good or better than the Winchester 94/22 I once owned. I wish I had a couple more.
I haven't read anything bad about this great gun and I highly recommend it.:)
Rod van Pelt

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
.22 Levers

I've heard nothing but good about the Henry's, just never liked the looks. Seems people either like the styling or hate it. I guess if you've bought one or consider buying one the looks are o.k. with you. I like the Marlin 39A, have been looking unsuccessfully for the shorter, straight grip, 39M. I also have a Browning BL-22, sweet gun, light and compact.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I love my Marlin 39A. Very accurate and good looking too.
I second that. My brother had one once. Fine rifle. Very accurate and fun to shoot.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Have several Henry's don't see anything cheap or wrong about them. The Marlin 39A is nice, but you can buy a Golden Boy and pocket a $100 difference. I also have a older Winchester 9422 XTR I bought from Wife's cousin. It's all in what you want.
I agree...I own two henrys and they are by far smoother than any 39A I have owned and that was several. They are guaranteed for life..so if yu happen to have a problem...they will take care of it. Both of my Henry's the std model and the higer end Frontier with 24 in octagon and half magazine will shoot better that 98% of the people posting, and yes, that means you....every day of the week.

·
Banned
57 Posts
.22 Levers

I've heard nothing but good about the Henry's, just never liked the looks. Seems people either like the styling or hate it. I guess if you've bought one or consider buying one the looks are o.k. with you. I like the Marlin 39A, have been looking unsuccessfully for the shorter, straight grip, 39M. I also have a Browning BL-22, sweet gun, light and compact.
The henry works fine, and shoots extremely well. I see alot of whining on the site about 39A's...which were very expensive to make and put themselves out of business. Sure you can pay $$$ for a used one...but why would you , You can buy a Henry or Browning that will shoot as well or better for less money and it will be new!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,476 Posts
Back in 1978, I bought a new Marlin Mod 39A. I still have it, but now it has a 3~9x scope mounted. I actually hate scopes on a lever gun but because my vision sucks so bad, I'd rather have the scope than to sell the Marlin.

I'm a sucker for brass receivers so I bought a Henry Golden Boy. I was very happy with the function but I found the brass receiver was nothing more than a brass plated aluminum cover over a cast aluminum receiver. There was no way to mount a scope .... the cover was too thin to drill and tap and it was not grooved for a scope. I sold the Golden Boy and later bought a Henry H001. This rifle has a black receiver .... not painted but a coated aluminum cover much like the Golden Boy. It is grooved for a scope and now wears a Nikon 2~7x.

Accuracy with the Henry H001 is acceptable out to about 60 yards then groups scatter pretty bad. It's a great gun for the money as long as you limit your shots to closer distances. My Marlin 39A will shoot the lights out with just about any brand of 22 LRs. It is very accurate at 100 yards ..... almost as accurate as my CZ bolt action. I don't recall ever having a malfunction of any sort with the 39A.

Being a lever gun fan, I also have a pair of Winchester 9422s. One is a 22 Mag, the other is a 22 LR. Both are quite accurate and function flawless. I put a 6X Pentax scope on the 9422M but the 22 LR 9422 remains scopeless.
9422 XTR 22 LR

9422M 22 Mag

I really enjoy guns made of steel and walnut so naturally, I like the Marlin best followed closely by the Winchesters. Today, the problem is .... Marlins and Winchesters are no longer in production so if you want a new gun, you will likely end up with a Henry .... not a bad choice.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Have had a Henry Golden Boy 22lr for 6 years and love it. Put thousands of rounds through it and never a glitch. The receiver is plated but outside of that the action is smooth silk. It's a .great shooter.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It ain't hard to start another thread.....just saying!
BTW......Rossi just came out with a lever action 22 which would complement the lever guns I have and at a good price.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts