Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not looking for a red dot for this. I am looking for a decent scope that won't break the bank that can be used up to 100 yards or 200 even. I bought a Barska 3-9x42 IR and once I held it and looked through it...I felt it to be CHEAP and going to return it. I want a compact yet decent scope that won't break the bank. All suggestions welcome BUT no Barska please. Thanks to all.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I'm using a Nikon AR223 1-4x20 with the Point Blank Reticle on my Mini 14 (chambered in 5.56/.223). I wrote a pretty extensive review of it here.

It's compact, rugged and has held up well on my Mini so far.

The only quibble I have with it is that the turrets might be a little too easy to adjust. You can reset them to 0 so that if they get bumped inadvertently you can always just move them back to 0 and you'll know you're right on, but that's a small complaint.

Give it a look. Not sure how useful it would be at 200 yards, but at 4x it might be okay at 100 yards. I typically shoot at 50 yards or less. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Matt. Was looking for it online it seems Nikon replaced it with the M-223 and P-223 models.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have seen a few positive reviews of the UTG/Leapers bug buster scopes lately.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would suggest one of the Leoupold Mark AR series as I have seven different AR platforms with Leoupold AR series scopes mounted on them. The clarity & light transmission is unmatched by anything Barska makes, they are a bit more pricey but well worth the money in my opinion.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I bought the Nikon p-223 3-9x and I am very happy with it. I was spotting my own shots before my spotter was with binoculars. I think it is a great scope.

I am sure the M-223 is also great but see absolutely no reason to spend the extra few hundred on the M-223 model.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I have a 1x4 20mm Leupold on my AR15. (My neighbor sold it to me for $40 when he "upgraded" to something else.) I also have an Aimpoint CompM2 red dot sight. Both sights are on quick release mounts so I can go back and forth.

Both are fine for shooting metal targets (or hunting) at 50-100 yards.

Last week I was shooting paper targets using the 1x4 at 50 yards. The center dot on the target was about 1". I was easily getting 1" groupings but it was hard to do quickly because the crosshairs completely covered the 1" dot.

The adage about 1X for each 25 yards (which I heard here first) is probably fine for hunting. For tight group target practice, I think a person need 2-3X per 25 yards.

Then I have old eyes, too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 Mil-Dot and am in love with it. 97% light transmission zeroing turrets and you can send for Mil-Dot Master for the price of a stamp ($25-$30 value).Midway has them on sale for $179,check out the reviews.good luck and shoot safe.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Put a vortex red/green dot on mine, for about $150; works well up to 300yds - just need to know how high to hold, once you sight it in at 100... I think the model is the strike fire...
Good luck with your search...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your inputs. I all ready have a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 BDC mounted on my 10/22 which at first I thought maybe I could just swap. Zeroing it everytime I swap would be a pain. So now I do have a Bushnell TR25 red dot in my possession, but still would like a long range scope. I am looking into either another Nikon a P223 or a Leupold Mark series. Barska I have in my possession right now is garbage...just holding in my hands gave me the shivers and looking through the glass just made me throw up a little. Awaiting return instructions from the seller.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts