Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just thinking that if I ended up with both .44 Special and .44 Magnum brass, I'd have an annoying kind of changeover on the press; I'd have to adjust the powder station for PTX and powder throw, bullet seating station, and crimp station, all due to nothing bu a 1/8" difference in case length. Likewise with .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

What other cartridges are there like this?

Any slick ideas on changing from one to the other?

Thanks,

jv

·
"The Real Deal"
8,094 Posts
Im with nga have 38,357 dies, 44spcl, 44mag dies. I am trying to remember but their are others that are that way. for instance 45 colt and 454 casull. A 380acp although different dimensions can mess you up with 9mmx19mm . Think 40sw and 10mm are also close as well and could cause issues.

Reactions: Maddmax

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
I started with two different sets, and honestly, still have them, but I just switched to the long cases (magnum) for everything and use either trailboss or a reduced load in magnum cases. Reason is I am lazy and removing the crud ring in a revolver chamber from firing a lot of short/special in a chamber that will accept the longer cartridges. So, I standardized with the long cases to get rid of this even being a consideration.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I standardized with the long cases to get rid of this even being a consideration.
I like that, but...I have tons of 38 Special cases! Not much use yet of the 357.

I was thinking it would be cool if you could raise or lower the top of your progressive press by a calibrated amount - 0.125" difference for .44 Special to Magnum, 0.135" for 38 Special to .357 Magnum.... Too bad they're not the same amount!

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
Here is something else I have on my reloading bench. Might help you out. I got them, but have not tried them as right after I got them, I said never mind and just got another die set.

·
Administrator
22,272 Posts
44 mag will take 44 Spl but also 44 Russian and 44 American. I have loaded up all my 44 Spl cases and was looking on Starline and of course they are out of 44 Spl but had 44 Russian. I have a Bond with 44 Spl BBL's and thought it might be fun to get a few 44 Russian as I do have a load recipes. Min qty at starline was 500 cases so I let that one ride. Not sure if I'd need dies as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is something else I have on my reloading bench. Might help you out. I got them, but have not tried them as right after I got them, I said never mind and just got another die set.

That's what I was thinking of! But, it would be cool if Hornady could figure out a similar thing that would work with the Lock-n-Load bushings.

Maybe some way of limiting the up-travel of the ram, while still making sure the press cycles.

So far, the Redding spacer kit looks like the best alternative. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
case lengths ...
32 SWL .920
32 H&R Mag 1.075
327 Fed Mag 1.200

·
Registered
521 Posts
38 Short Colt, Starline #3900
44 Russian, Starline #4400

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
case lengths ...
32 S&W .610
32 SWL .920
32 H&R Mag 1.075
327 Fed Mag 1.200

Wow. I think that's the most, no?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

So, does that set only come with one of each of those shims? I would need four of each!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I load with a Lee 4 stage classic turret press,have a turret plate set for 38 special . Have another plate set for 357 magnum. Don't load many magnums but just easier to change plates than individual dies.

·
Registered
275 Posts
44 Russian
44 Colt
44 Spl
44 Mag

Want to try a few of the first 2 just for fun, think the Russian need a dedicated seater die, others all OK I think with Spl/Mag dies

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
So, does that set only come with one of each of those shims? I would need four of each!
Not sure what you mean. You need only one set as they just sit between your lock ring and the press so there is no permanent change to the die settings, it just spaces them up for the longer mag cases.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure what you mean. You need only one set as they just sit between your lock ring and the press so there is no permanent change to the die settings, it just spaces them up for the longer mag cases.
I meant, if I have to space four dies, does the set come with four shims?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts