Ruger Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Are they otherwise the same?
Nope.
The .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R Mag casings have the same wall thickness etc, but the .327 Fed Mag has a strengthened web at the base of the case, thicker case walls, and different heat-treatment and metallurgy, all to handle its MUCH higher peak pressure*.

.32 S&W - 12,000 psi
.32 S&W Long - 15,000 psi
.32 H&R Mag - 21,000 psi
.327 Fed Mag - 44,000 psi

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've loaded both the 32 H&R mag and the 327 mag with the same set of dies, no spacers needed. You did have to adjust the dies when switching calibers, but it was no more hassle than switching between 38 Special and 357 Mag. I'm not a hardcore enough reloader yet that I have 2 dies for each caliber, but I can see where that would be a help. I am leaning into the camp with the 327 where I just load the magnum cases and barely use the 32 H&R cases anymore just because of the adjusting hassle. On the flip side I reload the 38 Special almost 5x's as much as I do the 357 Magnum due to the joys of plinking with 38s and the fact that I have a mass amount of 38 special cases compared to 357s so I tend to only load 357s in small batches of high performance loads.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I used to just do the adjust method switching between .44 Special and .44Mag with one die set. When I bought a Hornady iron press it has the simple lock system. I had another set of dies on hand and now have one set for .44 Special and one set for .44 Mag. A 'lot' easier. Drop, twist, and it is set.

Note before I bought actual .44 Special revolvers, I only used .44 Mag cases. I loaded them to what I wanted to shoot (rarely hot). Same with with .357 :) ... No need for loading .38s or .44 Special cases. One cool thing about reloading. Load as light ... or hot as you want... all within the same cartridge.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Not a problem .
I use an old single stage press mostly so I'm always screwing dies in and out anyway.
Resize and decapping no need to set depth, die base flush with shell holder
Expanding can be critical if you bell with it on the same stroke , but I generally don't . I try to use a separate Lee universal bell die .
Bullet seating depth changes all the time with different bullets so ya got to fiddle with it anyway. It's only critical if you crimp in the same stroke , I don't.
My taper and Lee factory crimpers for my most used calibers are left in a separate Spartan T turret press that holds 6 of them . Screwed in but usually get fiddled up or down a little .
For me there is no set and forget ,,,,,, always fiddeling with it but that's ok. Heck , in the middle of running 50 of something I will probably tweek a tad.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Maybe I'm making too big a deal of this. But, as an intellectual exercise it's interesting.

I have a Hornady Lock-N-Load Ammo Plant progressive reloader. I really like the LnL bushing system.

I found that I can buy 10-packs of arbor shims, in 0.125" and 0.010" thickness ($15 and $10, respectively). If I cut these in half I can just back the die a turn or two out of the LnL bushing, insert the two halves of the shim, and tighten it down. For .44 Special to Magnum, use just the 0.1215" shim. For .38 Special to .357 Magnum, stack the 0.125" and 0.010" together.

This would be only for the powder die, bullet feeder, bullet seater, and crimp dies.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
45 GAP - .760" - short
45 ACP - .898" - longer
45 Winchester Magnum - 1.198" - longest
Lets don't forget the semi-auto 45's
Gary

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I just thought of another pair ...41 Special / 41 Magnum .... do they count , Starline makes proper 41 Special brass !
Gary

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
45 GAP - .760" - short
45 ACP - .898" - longer
45 Winchester Magnum - 1.198" - longest
Lets don't forget the semi-auto 45's
Gary
Both the 45 GAP and 45 Win Mag have thicker case walls and stronger heads than 45 ACP. Also, 45 GAP uses small pistol primers ('though there are 45 ACP cases out there with small pistol primer pockets, the traditional and vast majority of extant 45 ACP cases use large pistol primers). So, not really analogous to .44 Spcl/Mag, 38 Spcl/357 Mag, etc.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Off the top of my head, if I remember correctly and yes, I am getting old,
38 Short Colt
38 Long Colt
38 Special
357 Magnum
357 Maximum

I could be wrong and it sure won't be the last time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Off the top of my head, if I remember correctly and yes, I am getting old,
38 Short Colt
38 Long Colt
38 Special
357 Magnum
357 Maximum

I could be wrong and it sure won't be the last time.
It checks out, but you really should have put the case lengths in here! :)

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Both the 45 GAP and 45 Win Mag have thicker case walls and stronger heads than 45 ACP. Also, 45 GAP uses small pistol primers ('though there are 45 ACP cases out there with small pistol primer pockets, the traditional and vast majority of extant 45 ACP cases use large pistol primers). So, not really analogous to .44 Spcl/Mag, 38 Spcl/357 Mag, etc.
You're picking nits again ... I put in the stinking case lengths ...
Just Stop it !:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
What i do for loading 38 spec and 357 mag. Is keep a seating die for each in my 4 hole turret. The 38 is a RCBS and the 357 is a lee. That way i don't use the wrong one.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Was just thinking that if I ended up with both .44 Special and .44 Magnum brass, I'd have an annoying kind of changeover on the press; I'd have to adjust the powder station for PTX and powder throw, bullet seating station, and crimp station, all due to nothing bu a 1/8" difference in case length. Likewise with .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

What other cartridges are there like this?

Any slick ideas on changing from one to the other?

Thanks,

jv
USING a .125 Shim for the set up of each die needing change

21 - 39 of 39 Posts