Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never used this particular ammo, and I'm curious what - if any - benefits it has. I have an LCR 38 +P, and a LCR 357 magnum. :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the info....I've been using the polymer tipped Hornady Critical Defense in my 1911 as it seems to come up the ramp better then most JHP's. I'll look into these and give a test.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have found the Corbon DPX 110g 38 +P rounds to be very controllable and they have 100% weight retention with excellent expansion and accuracy in ballistics tests. They are also expensive. Speer Gold Dot 135g for short barrel are very hard to beat however. Low recoil and muzzle flash and the "wide mouth" HP expands at lower velocity. These are subsonic (below 1120fps) at around 850fps and spare you the supersonic tooth-shaking "crack". Check'em' out. Both offer 38+p and .357 offerings. I keep either the Corbon DPX or the Speer GD in my LCR and SP101 2.25".

p.s. I paid $26 & $29 for 20round box of the Speer 38 +P & 357mag respectively. I got a great deal at $32 for the Corbon DPX 38 +P but have found the .357 DPX magnums to run $47. I know..... OUCH!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've never used this particular ammo, and I'm curious what - if any - benefits it has. I have an LCR 38 +P, and a LCR 357 magnum. :confused:
It sound like you have already gotten good advice on the ammunition itself, but I have some questions about the .357 round in home defense.

First -- what can be expected if you miss the target? Where is the bullet likely to end up?

Second -- How is the recoil and muzzle flash with the LCR .357? I'm assuming that the most likely use of this firearm will be under poor lighting conditions.

·
Banned
200 Posts
It sound like you have already gotten good advice on the ammunition itself, but I have some questions about the .357 round in home defense.

First -- what can be expected if you miss the target? Where is the bullet likely to end up?

Second -- How is the recoil and muzzle flash with the LCR .357? I'm assuming that the most likely use of this firearm will be under poor lighting conditions.
The reason I pick the Glasers! They will break up on wallboard, yet a flesh wound is devistating!

·
Administrator
23,523 Posts
I keep 357's stoked with Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWC-HP/GC +P's. They chrony an average of 1,017 FPS out of my 38 Spl LCR and 1,037 out of my SP101. They are not hard cast so should expand nicely and they are also a low flash load.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Guarddog,

If in your OP you were referring to Speer's "Short Barrel" Gold Dot HP loads, yes, I use them, but in an SP101 in .357.

The .357 flavor are loaded just a bit hotter than a .38+P to be controllable in a short barrel .357. They use low flash powders and GDHP bullets with wider cavities to ensure expansion at lower velocities achieved in snubnoses.

Good stuff. I'd be using it in my LCR in .38 if I didn't have such a stash of Federal 158GR LSWCHP+P's I'm working through.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Muzzle flash is a huge ball of fire.....and the HP's are not supposed to penetrate my block house walls, unlike a 45 shooting ball ammo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.