Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I was thinking as the stainless 5.5" single six is scarce and stainless 4.6" is non existent here, I could go 6.5" and then if I want it shorter, take it to a gunsmith for a barrel cutting.

Should be a fairly simple task, right? Does it present any problems? Takes away a bit of velocity from the bullets, but wouldn't it be otherwise the same as stock 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" barrel? And I would have the option to leave it to for example to 5".

I will be saving $160 if I take the 6 1/2" model instead of 5 1/2". That goes a long way on the barrel cutting, I think.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I've never had a barrel shortened, so I don't know the cost. I like the feel/balance of the 6.5" barrel better, If you do get the 6.5 and like it you can leave it or shorten it later if you don't like it. If you get one of the shorter barrels and don't like it, you can't make it longer.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
While I do prefer the 5 1/2", I have no issues whatsoever with the 6 1/2" and actually prefer it in some ways. For me, then, there's not enough difference to justify the added expense of cutting a 6 1/2" down to 5 1/2" and, over here, that's likely to cost in the neighborhood of $100, minimum. Keep in mind, too, that if you do cut a barrel on a revolver, you've greatly reduced the resale value. My advice is to get the 6 1/2" and enjoy it, as is. Add a 5 1/2", down the road.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
If you save $160 on the purchase price, you'll basically break even, or at least be within $50 of getting the barrel cut down.

It's not a big task for even a kitchen table gunsmith to cut down a stainless single six. Adjustable sight Single Sixes have a screw-on front sight, so it just takes a single hole D&T to reinstall it. Cut it down, crown it, D&T to reinstall the new front sight... All in for $100-200, depending on your smith.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I prefer the 4 5/8 barrel myself. So I have had several cut. Usually do it myself. Cut it, crown it, remount the sight. Stainless is no issue. A blue gun will need the blue touched up, but cold blue does the trick.

And before we hear, why not buy what you want............well, that's not always an option. Maybe they never made what I want in 4 5/8, or it's an older pistol, so I fix them like I want them. Having my 30 Carbine cut right now and a 50s vintage flat top 44 mag is next. Not concerned about resale. I don't buy them with selling in mind, so I fix it like I want it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I agree, if YOU want a short barreled version, then by all means gitter done...we've done many over the years and as noted above the stainless version is a piece of cake to do...after you remove ( unscrew) the front sight make sure you scribe a "fine" line in the area of where you are going to cut the barrel down to, so you have a PERFECT reference point as to "top dead center"..........................the trick is to NOT drill through the barrel, use the "stops" on the drill press, and for tapping the hole,use a "bottom tap" to get more threads...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts