Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy at the range who "forced" me to shoot his Colt Python was at it again the other day. This time he had some sort of a Sig Sauer bolt action rifle with a nice higher end Nikon scope on it.

After some violent arm twisting, he persuaded me to take a couple of shots with his rifle. I took aim at a steel gong at 100 yards. I flinched on my first shot, but my second and third shots were dead on, and rang that steel.

I have to say that shooting his rifle was very interesting. It had a good trigger, and the view through the Monarch scope was bright and clear. The impression I got was that when the trigger broke, my shot instantly hit the target.

For some reason I don't currently own any bolt action rifles. I just might have to change that now. :)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Bolt actions are great guns, I got them in 22, 270, 308, 30-06. I use to hunt jack rabbits with the 270 and 30 06. Once you figure out the lead on bunnys it's nothing but fun. Don't delay buy one now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I love my semi-auto Mini 14 but I love bolt action rifles, too. These are my three:

1958 Remington Model 514 (single shot, .22 short/.22/.22LR)

CZ 527 Carbine (.223 Rem, 5 rd box magazine)

CZ 455 Trainer (.22LR, 5/10 rd box magazine)

·
Exalted One
1,735 Posts
Ditto, until this past Christmas, I also didn't own a bolt action rifle. I inherited my Dad's Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 and dutifully bought 250 rounds, then when my nephew was visiting, he asked if he could have it now, rather than waiting until I die.:)

Since it was unlikely I would have the occasion to fire it, I let him have it, since he's presently stationed at Fort Bliss and has a LOT of desert for shooting long range.

In tinkering with my 181-series Mini-14GB to make it a bit more accurate (still working at it), I couldn't pass up a Savage Axis II XP in .223. Very nice accutrigger and a 3-9X40 scope. All for $315, plus a transfer fee. Hard to beat! I already have plenty of .223, so I don't need to worry about yet another caliber...

It is one very sweet rifle. Same price for various other calibers, too. Got it here:
Savage Axis II XP 223 REM Bolt Action Rifle with 3-9x40 Scope | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore

At the time I got it, Savage had a $50 mail-in rebate, which I got in the mail two weeks ago. Savage has rebates about twice a year.

Sandog will likely chime in about his Ruger Gunsight Scout, which is a fine weapon but a bit pricey for my purposes (humanely dispatching a rabid coyote or fox out to about 250 yards). Another consideration is the Mossberg MVP in .223/5,56 that takes AR15 mags...

I now have a rifle that I know will suit my purposes, and I can focus on making my Mini "good enough", rather than perfection.

Sounds like the bug has bitten you!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Bolt action are a lot of fun
I have a Marlin Model 80 from 1964 & a Wards Westernfield (single shot) from 1936
They both shoot 22 short/22/22lr

These were my Dad's gun's.
The Wards Westernfield was his squirrel gun when he was a kid. He bought it new in 1936
Damn...I have an eighty year old rifle & I shoot it once a year.

Just a load of fun, especially when ammo gets tight & a
10/22 can't cycle the "quiet/low velocity rounds" I've stockpiled.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Since I am a bolt gun "guy", probably have 60 or more, it's hard for me to even imagine a gun person NOT owning a bolt gun.........LOL!!!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Like MSP, I too have a hard time imagining someone who shoots, not owning a bolt action rifle. I own everything from a .22LR-.30-06, not to mention a British Enfield .303, I just recently purchased.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Ditto for the Savage Axis line [I have one in .223]. The Ruger American is also getting some pretty good reviews, including a really sweet Accu-trigger [to which I can attest]!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The guy at the range who "forced" me to shoot his Colt Python was at it again the other day. This time he had some sort of a Sig Sauer bolt action rifle with a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
For some reason I don't currently own any bolt action rifles. I just might have to change that now. :)
You sound just like a striker guy who just discovered either a 1911 or a revolver for the first time. LOL!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
+1 cannot imagine not owning a bolt gun...or several. Whenever I hit the rifle range, it's with a bolt gun. I prefer smaller calibers. I have a CZ 527 Carbine just like Bluzman but prefer to leave the scope off of it (it's been off and on a couple of times). But I feel it makes a great slung over the shoulder, iron sights, carbine. I enjoy .223 and recently bought a Weatherby Vanguard for scoped shooting in that caliber. But the hands-down favorite is the Browning T-bolt in 17HMR. What a hoot!

+1 again for Ruger Americans and Savage...great bolt rifles for the price.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
My 10/22 hardly gets fired much after getting a RAR in 22lr. My favorite is the 77/357 w Loupold scope.
Like my bolts more than my autos, so hope the OP gets one soon.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
It is easier and cheaper to get a high accuracy bolt gun than semi auto. Though by this point both can be surgically accurate but bolt guns are slower to fire but since we are nto refighting ww1 who cars.

·
Premium Member
4,201 Posts
I only have two bolt action rifles. A 30-06 and a .458 WinMag.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I love my semi-auto Mini 14 but I love bolt action rifles, too...

1958 Remington Model 514 (single shot, .22 short/.22/.22LR)
Hey! That looks like my rifle. I have a 514, too. A 1964 mfg, IIRC. It was my first gun at age eight, and was handed down to me from my grandfather, who used it to teach shooting to my older (than me) family members. It is a great 'trainer' and 50ft NRA smallbore marksman certification rifle.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
WIN_20150303_202645.JPG

CZ 455 varmint in 22 mag. I also have a CZ 452 trainer in 22LR.
They are the most accurate TACK DRIVING 22 caliber rifles Ive ever owned.
The 22 mag will easily hit pop cans all day at 250 yards. ( no wind of course).
It will cut the center outta the bull at 150.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts