Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wooohoooo! I just took a safety and intro to handguns class today, one on one with a retired NRA instructor/range officer. I've been wanting to buy the Mk III Competition (slabsides) and guess what ... that's exactly what he brought! Should also mention that I'd only shot 3 rounds out of a Glock 17 until now.

We had a ton of fun. Shot 100 rounds at pie plates from 15 yards. Out of the 100 I only sent 2 rounds into the berm and he said I was a great shot! I probably would've hit all 100 rounds but those damn pie plates are so heavy you gotta hit em in the top .5" to knock em down with a .22 lol.

Well, I can't really brag though, it was ONLY 15 yards after all, and he MIGHT'VE had a really nice red dot reflex sight that MIGHT'VE helped me a little :D

But anyway just wanted to tell somebody lol! I definitely want to buy one now. I love the grip angle and that giant thumbrest. But I did have trouble locking the slide back with the slide release (was a weird angle pushing up with my thumb). And I had to use my other hand for the magazine release. Probably just need to practice a lot with the movements, try different [posture] grips, and try different [literal] grips.

Those minor shortfalls are no big deal though. I'm just plinking! If I wanted a home defense weapon I would just buy a .50cal machine gun nest and put it at the top of the stairs :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Glad you had a good time! Ruger makes a darn good .22 pistol.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
Byoung ... Welcome to the forum & congrats on your new MKIII (it's your 1st but I predict not your last) :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
first ruger

well thats it! you can start stimulating the economy now.
You are hooked.
enjoy it. anita

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,798 Posts
byoung, Looks like you got the right ammo for your maiden voyage. IMO, the MK III Competition model is a bit too advanced for a "first timer". The thumb rest left grip is very thick, which restricts access to the bolt lock and magazine release. I would have started with a conventional model with standard grips and normal open sights. The good news is ... you got to shoot a fine gun and you seem to have done well with it. I predict you will soon be a MK III owner!!!

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Georgia!

I sense the addiction coming onto you...:eek:

Glad you could join us, ENJOY!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have had several Mark's over the years. Gotten rid of all them, get hard up for money, get into other guns, even bought a S&W Model 41 because they were suppose to be the best American made auto target pistol.
Funny thing is, I always come back to Ruger Mark's, I now have a Ruger 10" Mark II/ Mark III (Frame is Mark III) that I have built. This gun will never go any where and also purchased a Mark III Hunter 6 7/8". You can not go wrong with a Ruger, for example I thought the S&W 41 was the best, and it was very very accurate but stove piped no matter what I did, unless I put a drop of oil on the first round in the magazine (Irritating) my Mark III is just as accurate but eats everything and no problems.
Welcome to Ruger's and welcome to the Forum.
Ruger will also always take care of the guns they make.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Congradulations...and welcome to RF.net! Hope you enjoy this site as much as you do your new Ruger...when you get it!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
byoung, Looks like you got the right ammo for your maiden voyage. IMO, the MK III Competition model is a bit too advanced for a "first timer". The thumb rest left grip is very thick, which restricts access to the bolt lock and magazine release. I would have started with a conventional model with standard grips and normal open sights. The good news is ... you got to shoot a fine gun and you seem to have done well with it. I predict you will soon be a MK III owner!!!
Agreed, but by all accounts, you've had a great first time with a fine handgun.
I can see a Ruger rimfire in your future. :D

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have had several Mark's over the years. Gotten rid of all them, get hard up for money, get into other guns, even bought a S&W Model 41 because they were suppose to be the best American made auto target pistol.
A LGS/range used to have a S&W 41 in their extensive rental fleet. Unfortunately, I never rented it years ago when they had it. Back then I simply dismissed it as an ugly gun.

The 41 is still an ugly gun, though I wish I'd tried it back when I had the chance. Back then I had no idea it was an iconic bullseye pistol used by some of the most discriminating shooters. I love MK, but I'm still really curious what an S&W 41 has to offer for its $1,000 price tag that doubles that of the most pricey MKIII (Competition or Hunter).

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thank you for taking the safety course. When you get around to buying your new pistol, read the owners manual carefully. I'm sure you will enjoy your new hobby.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts