Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the range where I shot my brand spanking new (2 weeks) Ruger stainless GP100 357mag with 6" barrel. It is now my favorite handgun. I shot some 38s, store bought 357mag 158gr, handloaded 357mag 158gr, and some Buffalo Bore 180gr lead. All told, about 100 rounds. After making a minor adjustment to the rear sight I was able to slaughter the 4" bullseye out of my target at 50 feet. Sorry, no pictures, I was having too much fun bonding with my new favorite handgun to worry about pictures. It may not be the prettiest thing in the world, but you know what they say, "they all look the same in the dark".

Wanted one for a looonngg time, finally got one for a good price after the stars and $ aligned, and I ain't gunna give it back! Dave

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Sounds great! And I think the GP100 is a handsome gun so unless yours was dragged behind a truck I'm betting it looks good too.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have owned a GP100 with a 6 inch barrel. I loved it until I saw a Match Champion. The 4 inch barrel makes it easy for concealed carry. Both of these revolvers lead me to get a SR1911 NWCS.
These handguns make me believe that Ruger has come to be a major player in the Handgun market.
Good luck with your new GP100.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Congrats on the new GP100, my favorite gun also.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Congrats on a great purchase. Now how about some pictures?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Congrats glad you enjoy it. My 4 inch gp is a joy every time I get it out just feels right. My 686 hits me the same way. So happy I have both to enjoy. Like the gp grips better

·
Registered
571 Posts
30 some years ago we gave each of our two sons a GP100 357 with a 6" barrel .... at that time a pistol had to have a minimum of a 6" barrel to legally be able to deer hunt with it in NC .... over time they have both taken deer and while both have purchased other firearms, their GP100's are the ones they enjoy and fire the most

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was able to look at, and handle, the 4 inch, 5 inch, 6 inch, Match Champion, Wiley Clapp, unfluted Talo, blue, stainless. Not like I didn't have a choice. I just felt the 6 inch stainless talked to me, so home it came. The Match Champion sure was nice, just too darn pretty. Dave

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I was able to look at, and handle, the 4 inch, 5 inch, 6 inch, Match Champion, Wiley Clapp, unfluted Talo, blue, stainless
Jealous! Where was this Wonderland? :)

So far I have never seen a 5", WC, or unfluted in person. Of the regular 4"s, regular 3", and regular 6" I have handled the blue 3" and 4" ones speak to me the most but who knows what the future holds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 4" is one of my favorites.
I had an El Paso Saddlery Tom Threepesrons holster made for it. Now I would like to find a really nice burled wood grip for it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just got back from the range where I shot my brand spanking new (2 weeks) Ruger stainless GP100 357mag with 6" barrel. It is now my favorite handgun.
Same here, on all counts. The first thing I noticed that trigger was remarkably good right out of the box, and got much better after 300 rounds.
It may not be the prettiest thing in the world, but...
But with new rosewood grip and HiViz front sight, it's getting close.:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts