Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier about finally getting a Wrangler. Well, I got a chance to take it to the range today and fire it. It is new and stiff. As I shot it it began to smooth and loosen up. I intended to put about two hundred rounds through it but it began to carbon up at a little over a hundred rounds so a hundred and fifty rounds is all I put through it this time. I used cheap ammo, Federal Lightening and Remington Thunderbolts. I wanted to make sure it would go bang, I will test ammo to see what it likes later. The important thing to me is that at ten yards POA and POI are the same. You aim at the target and that is where the bullet strikes. I had none of the problems I have read of others having. No off center groups and all groups were tight. The only problem I had was not the gun's fault. I was at an indoor range that afforded little light on the front sight so my shooting was not as good as I would have liked until I started taking more time with each shot and making sure I had a good sight picture with the darkened sight. A little paint should cure that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The next thing was to clean it and get rid of the carbon buildup. I noted that some of the finish on the frame was wearing off but the barrel and cylinder were fine. The gun cleaned up easily. In my opinion this is a good plinking and woods walking little revolver. It is a plinker and not a match gun. For a hundred or so rounds at a time this is a fun gun. I ordered a holster from Ruger so I can carry the Wrangler for a walk about piece. I am happy with it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
For the price, the best deal out there. It's my first revolver single action, and it grows on you. It gets smoother with shooting and cleaning, and with practice, a straight shooter, Ruger Firearms did it right. I like to collect 22 cal. for purpose, function and a reputable manufacturer history. This pistol meets that and as said on many posts, just fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
14,073 Posts
They are getting a little easier to find around here and seem like lots of fun. The larger calibers in single actions are my cup of tea. Have fun with that pistol!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Both my black and silver Wranglers are doing great. No noticeable wear of finish on either color. Shot 1000 rounds of Winchester M-22 and had no problems with either pistol. Enjoy yours.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My friend and I each bought Wranglers a few weeks ago,and today was the first time we had a chance to try them out. Let me preface the range report to say that I did an action job on each prior to firing them because when new, they were very stiff.

We didn't have much time and we only fired about 25 rounds each. To say that we thoroughly enjoyed what little time we had is an understatement. Each of us were impressed with this little 22. Me, being a SASS "Gunfighter" ( one in each hand ) had to try them both at the same time. My buddy was very impressed with the result, as was I.

We both have resolved to get a companion to our existing Wranglers as soon as our local gun shop gets them in.

WR

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Congratulations, glad she is straight shooter..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah I got mine a few month ago for $180 + tax.. Never was much of a 6 shot SA wheel gun guy, but figured I really should have at least one right?..
Its been a lot of fun, and money well spent.
At this price point, it has good fit and finish, works as it should, and mine is as accurate as any .22 i own except for my 22/45.
No wonder they are selling them by the train load. Lots of fun.

The only similar thing out there in this price range is the Heritage .22LR/.22WMR SA..

From what everyone says, including the online gun guys, the Heritage simply does not match the Wrangler in overall build quality.
I only wish ruger had designed this very affordable gun to use both rounds with the addition of a .22 WMR cylinder. From what I have heard they are not going to to be offering a .22 WMR cyl for it..

However, MAYBE if enough guys go to the Ruger website and ask, they will make a similarly low priced version of the Wrangler chambered in .22wmr.. bob

·
Registered
137 Posts
It fits right in a shoots very well.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts