Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, are ALL semi-autos this cool???

Snuck away this afternoon to burn 100 rounds with my new SR9. Having never fired a semi-auto before, I didn't know what to expect.

First impressions:

I thought it was really, really interesting how you can FEEL the gun absorbing the recoil. Kind of springy. Very easy to get right back on target.

I love the sight picture BUT after cutting a hole to the left of center I looked at the front sight and it's moved way over to the right!! I can't push it over with my hands, and there's nothing in the manual about moving the front sight laterally. How do you do this??

One other quick note for you semi-auto guys: No amount of spare magazines is enough, am I right? I already want like four more in addition to the two that came with the gun!

·
Registered
219 Posts
LOL, glad to see ya havin fun Eddie! I don't know much about the SR( but the front sight is most likely fixed. I do recommend however, that you learn to shoot the gun more before adjusting the rear sight. I’m not saying you need to learn how to shoot, it’s just that it’s a different gun. When I first got my 345 I thought it was way off and moved the sight a bunch. Well it wasn’t the gun! Once I got used to that particular gun, then I got to a rest and adjusted the sight. It’s most likely right back where it was! My P95 was dead on right out of the box. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I thought you would like the auto...

Was the front sight centered when you started? I don't have a SR9 but isn't front sight in a v-groove? If so, you should be able to center it by tapping with a punch and hammer. Check for a set screw! Or, zero by adjusting the rear sight.

Yup, the more mags the better. Two spare is a nice number, 17+1 along w/ 34rds makes for a good basic load. I carry 2 spare w/ my P89, but have 6 total. Fill them the night before a trip to the range and I'm set.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the front sight is 'drift' adjustable, and is clearly and obviously not centered within the range of movement allowed (the little flat part it sits in). I think it was that way out of the box but didn't look until after a couple magazines.

No set screw that I can see. I really want to avoid scratching it!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Not all semi-autos are cool....but darn near most of them are!!!:) Glad you're enjoying it. Don't know about the front site, cause I don't have an SR9. I like to have a total of about 6 mags for each auto, and that really depends on what you are using it for. Have fun.....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see a set screw but I haven't taken it apart or anything. Here's what it looks like.

I called the place I got it from and they said they'd take care of it, I'll bring it in next week.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow that is way over to the right....!! There is no set screw, you just need to drift it to the left. I have never tried to drift the front sight on my SR9 but I did on my P345 which has a similiar front sight. In that instance I laid the gun (empty of course) on a padded table and using a piece of hardwood cut to fit the dovetail opening and laid against the sight base, I tapped it over using a hammer. It will take a sharp rap to get it to move - but experiment to see what it needs. If this does not work for you, then a gunsmith with the proper tools may be the best option...

·
Super Moderator
21,725 Posts
The owners manual doesn't have any info on it?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The owners manual doesn't have any info on it?
No it's very odd. In the diagram in the front of the manual, it notes that both front and rear sights are adjustable for windage. But in the sight adjustment portion of the manual, it only tells you how to adjust the rear sight for elevation and windage.

In the exploded view of the gun, it shows the front sight off to the side with lines drawn showing that it basically slides into that flat spot. But I can't budge it and I don't want to touch a tool to it and risk scratching it. I might try something wood or plastic.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Eddie, a brass punch and a hammer is what has been traditionally used to drift dovetailed sights. Polishrose's suggestion of using a chunk of hardwood would also work. It is pretty easy, I am sure you could do it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
+1 Brass punch and a hammer. Unless the place you bought it can do it while you wait.

The thought of leaving a gun somewhere for days or weeks for a 5 minute job would definitely have me doing it myself.

·
Registered
174 Posts
As a matter-o-fact, it do...

Says its "drift" adjustable...

I just bought one (SR9) about two hours ago...

Mine has the blackened slide...

Work prohibits a range trip today, but soon...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Famous last words!

Along with such classics as, "hold my beer and watch this!"

LOL...too true...

I don't blame you, EddieF...I wouldn't want to bang on mine either...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts