Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a chance to buy a new in box, unfired by original owner, Smith & Wesson M&P22 Compact for 80% of what Cabela's is selling them for (before sales tax), so I bought it. Couldn't help myself. First impressions: I like the sights better than those on my SR22; and I like that the safety goes DOWN to fire, and UP for safe. I think I also like that it is single action from the start, no double action first shot like the SR22. I like the grip, the size and the overall feel of the M&P22 Compact. I don't like that you are not supposed to dry fire it, as I can, and do to a limited extent, with my SR22. I had been entertaining visions of posting half-dollar size groups with my new toy. Well maybe I can some day, after lots of practice, but I sure didn't achieve that today. The first 50 rounds (Remington Golden Bullet bulk) were scattered across the paper nearly 7 inches wide and about 4 inches top to bottom. Mostly low, fairly evenly distributed left and right. Distance was 30 feet. I'm deadly on 12 oz soda cans with my SR 22 at that distance. Would have just kicked up a lot of dirt onto them today. Had one fail to feed on the last round of the third magazine. No, I didn't clean it before I shot it; just eyeballed it and called it clean enough to try. So the jury is still out on this one; guess it won't be replacing the SR22 right off quick.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I recently bought a full size M&P22. When I got the gun any ammo I shot in it fouled the barrel in short order. I called S&W customer service who tried to blame the ammo. At this point I am really angry. I had already shot Remington Thunderbolt ammo in everything from a 10/22 to a Colt Diamondback to a JA22 without any fouling. In fact, I had shot all those guns with the same lot of ammo. I searched for forum posts made by others that hand the same problem with the M&P22 I found posts made by many others who has the same issue and S&W always blamed bulk ammo no matter who manufactured it.

I sent my pistol in for service and S&W sent it back with another barrel that was installed finger tight. I finished the barrel installation for S&W. I shot the gun and had the same barrel fouling problems.

I read one post where a user had repaired his M&P22 with Flitz and a Dremmel tool. So I wrapped a wad of Never Dull on a plastic jag and went to work on my barrel with a cordless drill. Voila! I fixed my gun. Come to find out S&W puts such a heavy coating of whatever they use to finish the barrel that it buries the rifling.

The rifling on your M&P22 should look like a smaller version of the rifling you see in the centerfire S&W pistols. Not a narrow line cut into the barrel like the rifling on a Jimenez JA22 pistol. Cleaning solutions and a bronze brush will not remove the excess finish. Cleaning solutions may work if you put the bronze brush on a drill. But regardless I couldn't make any progress with my bare hands.

The reason I made this post is there is a reason someone ditches a nice pistol at 20% of it's value.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't get the pistol for 20% of its value; I paid 80%. The original owner had not fired a shot through it, so I doubt that barrel fouling was the reason he sold it. But thanks for the info about your experience. I did clean the barrel after firing it, but just swabbed Hoppes in, let it sit, then ran cloth patches through until clean. The rifling appeared to be normal, sharp and shiny, but I'll give it a scouring with a wire brush next time and inspect it under strong light. I'm sure my poor shot placement was more the shooter's fault than the pistol's.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I'm a little perplexed by your post, OldCrow. I've never seen a brand new gun that didn't have a clean bore with sharp rifling. If there was a bunch of preservative oil in it from the factory and you didn't clean it first, I suppose dirty bulk ammo could really gunk things up. I wouldn't think it would take a dremel to clean it, though.

As for Smith & Wessson, I generally like their products, but I have read way, way too many forum posts where people say Smith customer service blames the ammo makers for everything that goes wrong with their guns. I have strongly considered buying a Shield- I think they are outstanding guns- but I'm wary because I have seen numerous forum posts and YouTube videos where people have had "kabooms" with them and Smith doesn't want t to honor their warranty.

I almost never read any bad experiences that people have with Ruger customer service. For that matter, no one ever seems to have their Ruger blow up in their hands, either.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i believe the full size sw 22`s are made by umarex imported by walther with S&W stamp on it, the compact is made in house by S&W in the usa. that could account for a difference in QC. In other words you cant relate a bad full size to a compact, different design and different manufacturer. First day i took mine out uncleaned as is from the factory box, 600 flawless rounds downrange from 5 different brands and 4 types of 22 ammo. subsonics , sv hv and stingers . nice trigger accurate reliable and no upside down safety.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Had a chance to buy a new in box, unfired by original owner, Smith & Wesson M&P22 Compact for 80% of what Cabela's is selling them for (before sales tax), so I bought it. Couldn't help myself. First impressions: I like the sights better than those on my SR22; and I like that the safety goes DOWN to fire, and UP for safe. I think I also like that it is single action from the start, no double action first shot like the SR22. I like the grip, the size and the overall feel of the M&P22 Compact. I don't like that you are not supposed to dry fire it, as I can, and do to a limited extent, with my SR22. I had been entertaining visions of posting half-dollar size groups with my new toy. Well maybe I can some day, after lots of practice, but I sure didn't achieve that today. The first 50 rounds (Remington Golden Bullet bulk) were scattered across the paper nearly 7 inches wide and about 4 inches top to bottom. Mostly low, fairly evenly distributed left and right. Distance was 30 feet. I'm deadly on 12 oz soda cans with my SR 22 at that distance. Would have just kicked up a lot of dirt onto them today. Had one fail to feed on the last round of the third magazine. No, I didn't clean it before I shot it; just eyeballed it and called it clean enough to try. So the jury is still out on this one; guess it won't be replacing the SR22 right off quick.
Try using Winchester M-22 40g 1255 fps ammo. My M&P22c eats it like candy and is very accurate. For practice I normally hit 9 or 10 out of 10 shot shells at 25' in about 9 to 10 seconds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts