Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cat Herder
1,554 Posts
Does anything damage an SP101 outside of ludicrous hand loads? If you shot a case of them I imagine it would make cleaning more difficult than normal, but that's about it.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,714 Posts
They do not damage my GP 100 or Kimber K6S. I used them to kill three Copperhead snakes last year. Shotgun took out a fourth. Of course I am firing one or two shots each time. That is not a regular range loading.

My only complaint has been how the plastic capsules creep out under recoil. This is really pronounced in a snub. Should not lock up an SP with a 4” barrel, but the plastic capsule will jump.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,553 Posts
They are not loaded hot. You can shoot all you want. They are kind of expensive though. How bad is your snake problem?

·
Super Moderator
21,186 Posts
I loaded some 38 shotshell with #8 shot and tried patterning in my GP and SP. At 15' the SP had a tighter pattern and shot to POA. When I hog hunted in TX I carried the SP OWB. If you have patterned them then the only worry is a killing shot.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,513 Posts
My go too for snakes is a 410 break action shotgun, which is a snake charmer, does the job real well, which it was designed i believe. However i have shot a few with my 380acp glock 42, but had critical defense in it, since i wasnt planning to use on snakes.

Reactions: *Shoot*

·
"The Real Deal"
6,513 Posts
My go too for snakes is a 410 break action shotgun, which is a snake charmer, does the job real well, which it was designed i believe. However i have shot a few with my 380acp glock 42, but had critical defense in it, since i wasnt planning to use on snakes. View attachment 143929
Let me add a 12 gauge does nicely, too, just took a 24" water moccassin with pops old single shot at his house.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I use CCI shotshells in .22 LR, .22 Magnum, .45 ACP and .45 Colt.
Years ago I loaded my own with Speer shot capsules but don't shoot enough shotshells to make reloading worthwhile.

They aren't going to harm your barrel. As Spiff said, if you shoot a whole lot of them you might have extra cleaning to do, some plastic residue could be deposited, But shooting a few now and then like most of us do won't matter a bit.

Even the .22 LR, which uses some pretty small shot, will do in a snake at close range. Both the CCI with plastic shot capsule and the W-W with crimped brass case will go through one side of a steel soup can, and maybe half of the shot will continue on through the other side.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Update, yesterday I had an opportunity to shoot a rattler with a CCI .45 ACP shotshell.
I had parked at a dirt lot that goes to creek access for swimming. Took my dog down to swim and kept him on a leash until we got to the water because of the possibility of rattlers.

I had seen several other groups hiking down, some with dogs and some with small kids.
When I got back to my truck, I saw this rattlesnake next to my bumper.
I didn't want to have him tangle with a kid or dog so I blasted him.
Hardly any shot in the neck but his head was pretty messed up.
He didn't twitch or squirm at all after I shot him. I've never seen a snake die so quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts